The fact is I've been drinking ever since I was a teenager.
事實上 少年時代起我就開始喝酒
And yet what I've never dared to ask myself
不過 我一直不愿意去思考
is what exactly does it do to make me feel the way I do when I drink?
酒精是如何讓我產生飲酒體驗的
I've come to meet a colleague of mine Professor Nutt
于是 我去拜訪了一同事 納特教授
to really pin down the pharmacology of this drug alcohol.
希望能切實了解酒精的藥理學作用
What is it about alcohol that we like as humans?
究竟是什么 使人們這么喜愛飲酒
Well alcohol is a remarkable drug
酒精是一種無與倫比的藥物
cos it's so many different things.
因為它包含復雜的成分
Many people use different aspects of alcohol
酒精繁多的各種功能
to serve their own purposes.
可以滿足人們不同的需要
Here's alcohol. You’ve got some here!
這有些酒精 你都準備好了
So this is lab-grade ethanol?Thats right.
這是實驗室使用的乙醇? 對
If you have a couple of largeish glasses of wine
如果喝下幾大杯葡萄酒
then you'd be drinking about that much.
攝入的酒精大概會有這么多
It works on many different systems in the brain.
大腦中很多系統會產生反應
The first effect most of us have with alcohol is we get calm.
首先 大多數人會感到平靜
So taking a couple of shots of alcohol
因此 幾杯酒下肚
is like taking a minor tranquilliser like Diazepam.
就像服用了少量鎮定藥 例如安定
The best example is when people are flying.
坐飛機是一個典型的例子
The first thing they do when the seatbelt sign comes off
飛機起飛時 當安全帶指示燈亮后
is serve the drinks
乘務員首先要端上酒水
because about 30% of people are phobic of flying.
因為30%的人對飛行有恐懼反應