'The dough rests for 20 minutes, and we start on the filling
面團放20分鐘,我們開始做餡兒
'smoked tofu and shiitake mushrooms, finely diced.
熏豆腐和香菇,切成小塊
'We're also adding rice noodles,chopped carrot and coriander.'
我們還可以加入米粉,切碎的胡蘿卜和香菜
She's got here a mixture of yellow bean paste
她放入黃色豆沙混合物
and also tian mian jiang,
以及甜面醬
which is that wheat flour paste, to bind it together.
甜面醬是小麥面粉糊,然后攪拌
'Tian mian jiang is the sauce used in Peking duck pancakes
甜面醬是北京烤鴨薄餅的調料
'and is similar to hoisin sauce.'
和海鮮醬類似
We're adding a little dark soy sauce. The light soy sauce is saltier,
加入少許老抽,醬油是咸的
the dark soy sauce adds a bit more texture and colour.
老抽增添了更多的質地和色彩
I remember us cooking with my grandmother, making dumplings.
我還記得我們和祖母一起做飯,包餃子
It's such a social occasion, actually,
那樣一個社交場合,實際上
but I was too small to really learn at such a young age
但我年齡太小而難以真正學到
but I could hear the sound of this chopping
但是還記得這種切菜的聲音
and then her and my great-aunt sitting round,
然后她和我姑奶奶圍坐在一起
they used to gossip and talk about the neighbour next door.
她們會家長里短的閑談,訴說鄰里之事
It's wonderful.
很美妙

With all this modernisation going on, especially here in Beijing,
隨著現代化的不斷推進,尤其是在北京
to what extent is this still being done in homes?
有多少仍然會在家里做
It is being done in homes still but less and less, I'd say.
我認為這些還會在家里做,但會越來越少
It's time-consuming, especially if you want to do them right.
很費時間,尤其是你要想都做對
You make everything from scratch.
所有事你都要重頭開始做
Now it's onto the dumpling skins.
現在開始做餃子皮
The hollowed bit in your palm at the centre makes that mound, that shape.
用你手心把它壓成土堆那種形狀
It's kind of fat in the middle and sloping on the side.
中間厚兩邊薄
The rolling pin never leaves the board.
搟面杖一直貼著砧板
You're just doing this repetitive motion with this hand
你只需要用手一直重復動作
and turning with the other hand.
并用另一只手轉動餃子皮
To judge whether you've made a really good dumpling skin,
要判斷是否制作出一張好的餃子皮
you know in the Imperial Courts, if you made the skin really thin
你知道在宮廷里,如果你把皮做的夠薄
that you could still read a newspaper behind it,
你還可以在它后面閱讀報紙
you knew you had the perfect thinness of skin.
這樣你就有了一張完美無缺,薄若蟬翼的餃子皮
Next we fill and seal the dumplings.
接下來,我們要包餡兒并把皮捏在一起封好
At Chinese New Year, it's the tradition to hide coins inside
在中國農歷新年,有一種將硬幣包入餃子的傳統
and the one who finds them is blessed with good fortune.
發現的人則是有福之人
This is the easy way. You just press and seal it.
這是最簡單的方式,你只需要按住并封口即可
You want a smooth circle on one side and the pleats on the other side
你需要一側有平滑的弧線,另一側則是褶皺邊
and a good dumpling is one that sits down and doesn't tip over.
一個好的餃子的標志是立而不動
We're cooking the dumplings two ways,
烹飪餃子有兩種方式
the first is simply boiling for 15 minutes.
第一種是煮15分鐘
The second is pan seared,my favourite.
第二種則是香煎,我最喜歡的方式
This is great because this creates steam
這很棒,因為會產生蒸汽
and because of the steam, it's crispy on the bottom.
而正因為蒸汽,讓底端變得香脆
And it cooks with the steam.
和蒸汽一起烹調
So you want to fill the water
所以需要加水
about two-thirds the way to the dumpling top.
直到淹沒餃子大約三分之二的高度
To get a delicious crispy bottom on your dumpling, add a ladle of oil.
為了得到底部香脆可口的餃子,加一勺油
With ginger and Sichuan pepper.
加入生姜和花椒
Fragrant oil. Fragrant oil.
香油 香油
Wow! Beautiful.
哇,真漂亮
That looks so good.
看起來不錯
You don't understand what that means to me right there, looking at it.
你不知道那些餃子對我意味著什么,看看吧
It's like home. It's like home.
就像家里一樣 就像家里一樣
If the dumpling skin is too thick,it's too chewy.
如果餃子皮很厚,吃起來就很有嚼勁
If it's too thin,the dumpling will break.
如果太薄,餃子將會破損
These look spot on. Oh...
這些看起來剛剛好
The classic way to eat dumplings in the north,
北方吃餃子的經典方法
is dipped in wheat flour vinegar and chilli oil.
是蘸上小麥粉醋和辣椒油
And actually Beijingers also like raw pieces of garlic.
事實上北京人也喜歡大蒜切片
They munch on those.
用力咀嚼
Do you guys want some of that?I don't plan to kiss anyone tonight.
你們想要一些嗎?今晚我不打算親吻任何人了
I might as well.
我可以吃
Wow!
哇
I can taste the sweetness of the carrot
我嘗到了胡蘿卜的甜味
and the texture of that smoked tofu.
和熏豆腐的質感
It's so delicate and moist.
如此細膩滋潤
Sensational!
讓人感動!
Mmm. Mmm.
恩,恩
This is masterful.
大師級作品
Hands down, she's dumpling master of Beijing.
毫無疑問,她是北京的餃子宗師