The will to live life differently can start
想把生命活得與眾不同的愿望
in some of the most unusual places.
能夠在一些不平凡的地方實現
This is where I come from, Todmorden.
這是我的家鄉,托德莫登
It's a market town in the north of England,
是英格蘭北部的一個城鎮
15,000 people, between Leeds and Manchester,
一萬五千人口,在利茲和曼徹斯特之間
fairly normal market town.
相當普通的一個城鎮
It used to look like this,
這個城鎮過去是這樣
and now it's more like this,
現在是這樣
with fruit and veg and herbs sprouting up all over the place.
水果,蔬菜,草藥四處生長
We call it propaganda gardening.
我們稱之為宣傳式園藝
Corner row railway, station car park,
鐵道角落,車站停車場
front of a health center, people's front gardens,
健康中心門口,居民住處門口的花園
and even in front of the police station.
甚至在警察局門口都有
We've got edible canal towpaths,
我們有“可食用“的運河纖道
and we've got sprouting cemeteries.
我們有發芽中的墓地
The soil is extremely good.
土壤相當好
We've even invented a new form of tourism.
我們甚至興起了另一種形式的旅游
It's called vegetable tourism, and believe it or not,
叫做蔬菜旅游,信不信由你
people come from all over the world to poke around in our raised beds,
來自世界各地的人們在我們的沃土閑逛
even when there's not much growing.
盡管有些地方不怎么長植物
But it starts a conversation.
但這引發了探討
And, you know, we're not doing it because we're bored.
你懂的,我們不做是因為我們已經膩煩了
We're doing it because we want to start a revolution.
而我們做是因為我們要開啟一場新的革命
We tried to answer this simple question:
我們試圖回答這個簡單的問題
Can you find a unifying language that cuts across age
你能找到一種統一的語言,即使跨越時代
and income and culture that will help people themselves
收入和文化卻仍然能夠幫助人們自己
find a new way of living,
找到一種新的生活方式
see spaces around them differently,
看看身邊獨特的空間
think about the resources they use differently,
想想人們別出心裁的,不同交流方式
interact differently?
的不同資源
Can we find that language?
我們能找到這種語言嗎
And then, can we replicate those actions?
如果可以,我們能復制嗎
And the answer would appear to be yes,
答案似乎是肯定的
and the language would appear to be food.
而且這種語言似乎就是食物
So, three and a half years ago, a few of us
三年半之前,我們中一些人
sat around a kitchen table and
坐在廚房餐桌旁邊
we just invented the whole thing.
就這樣創造了整套玩意
We came up with a really simple game plan that we put to a public meeting.
我們想到的一個相當簡單易行的計劃就公諸于眾了
We did not consult. We did not write a report.
我們沒有咨詢專家,也沒有寫報告
Enough of all that.
受夠那些了
And we said to that public meeting in Todmorden,
我們在托德莫登的一個公共會議上講述了我們的計劃
look, let's imagine that our town
接下來,我們想象下我們的城鎮
is focused around three plates:
主要集中在三個板塊
a community plate, the way we live our everyday lives;
社區,我們每天生存的地方
a learning plate, what we teach our kids in school
學習板塊,我們教我們的孩子
and what new skills we share amongst ourselves;
和我們自我學習技能的地方
and business, what we do with the pound in our pocket
和商業區,我們用我們口袋里的英鎊
and which businesses we choose to support.
來投資支持我們選擇的生意的區域
Now, let's imagine those plates agitated
現在,我們一起想象下這些區域
with community actions around food.
都被圍繞食物的社區行動關聯起來
If we start one of those community plates spinning,
如果我們讓其中一個板塊行動起來
that's really great, that really starts to empower people,
這是相當好的,能夠真正地鼓動人們
but if we can then spin that community plate
但如果我們能讓一個社區板塊帶動
with the learning plate, and then spin it with the business plate,
學習板塊,接而再帶動商業板塊
we've got a real show there, we've got some action theater.
我們已經開始了這場秀,我已經著手行動
We're starting to build resilience ourselves.
我們正開始自我適應
We're starting to reinvent community ourselves,
我們正開始重塑社區
and we've done it all without a flipping strategy document.
而且我們做的這些不依賴于任何一紙戰略空文
And here's the thing as well.
同時我們也在這樣開展
We've not asked anybody's permission to do this,
我們沒有要求任何一個人的應允來做這件事
we're just doing it.
我們就是開始做了
And we are certainly not waiting for that check
我們在開始之前當然也沒有等著
to drop through the letterbox before we start,
信箱里的支票
and most importantly of all, we are not daunted
最重要的是,我們也沒有被
by the sophisticated arguments that say,
他們提及的敏感爭論而嚇倒
"These small actions are meaningless in the face of tomorrow's problems,"
"他們小小行動在未來要面臨問題面前毫無意義"
because I have seen the power of small actions,
因為我們見過微小行動力量
and it is awesome.
很了不起
So, back to the public meeting.
好吧,回到公眾會議
We put that proposition to the meeting, two seconds,
我們在會議上拋出了我們的提議,兩秒鐘后
and then the room exploded.
會議室爆棚了
I have never, ever experienced anything like that in my life.
在我生命中我從來沒,從沒體驗過這樣的事
And it's been the same in every single room, in every town
而且在每一個城鎮的會議室中當我們講述我們的故事時
that we've ever told our story.
都是一樣的情景
People are ready and respond to the story of food.
人們已經準備好回應這個關于食物的故事了
They want positive actions they can engage in,
他們在骨子里想要他們參與的時候
and in their bones, they know it's time
有積極的行動,他們知道這是時候
to take personal responsibility
承擔個人責任
and invest in more kindness to each other
把善意向彼此
and to the environment.
和環境中投入