The biggest thing for me on that path
在我看來,這條路上最重要的莫過于
is I needed to draw
是需要描繪出一些東西
something out and I needed to get it out of my head.
再把它們忘卻
I found myself very early on thinking about something,
我發現我自己很早就想到一些東西
like thinking about this early idea for Twitter
比如我早年對推特的想法
and saying to myself,
我還會對自己說
"I could build this."
你可以建成這個
You have those shower moments
你在洗澡的時候
or you're walking at midnights in some
或是你在午夜的紐約城里的小鎮
town in New York City and
漫步的時候
you've got this amazing brand-new ideas.
你會得到很新奇的點子
And then, you start thinking,
之后,你會開始思考
"Well, I could really start doing this if only
恩,只要某項條件成熟了,只要我認識這個人
X and if I had this person or if this technology
或是如果這個技術存在
existed or if this happened or this happened."
或是如果這個或那個發生了,我就能開始落實這個點子了
What I realized I was doing is I was constantly
我意識到這么做
making excuses for not working on it.
其實是一直在為自己不努力去做找借口
And then, the window had passed and
機會稍縱即逝
then I couldn't do anything.
我什么都做不了了
I think it's really,
我覺得將點子寫出來
really important to write it out or
畫出來,編制出來
to draw it out or to code it.
真的很重要
But you need to get it out of your head.
但你也需要忘記它
The reason you have to get it out of your head
這么做的原因是
is you need
你需要
to be able to see it on a surface
客觀地觀察它
that is not in your mind.
而不是看它在你大腦中的樣子
Once you can see it and once you can step back from it,
一旦你看到了它,一旦你能退一步思考它
then you can also decide,
你就能決定
"This pass is my filter. This pass is my constraint.
這么走可以去偽存真,這么走會遇到困難
So, maybe I can show it and
所以,也許我能展示它
share it with some other people."
和別人分享它
Then they'll be like, "That's the stupidest idea ever,"
之后他們會喜歡它 "這是最傻的想法 "
or "That's somewhat interesting
或是"這很有趣
but maybe this and this and this."
但可能這樣或是那樣更好."
So, the sooner you can do that,
所以越快做到這一點
then you have a lot of momentum around it.
你就能有很多動力
You can really decide
你就可以決定
if you want to commit to it and work
你是否想落實它
on it more or put it on a shelf for a later date.
更多地為它努力或是暫時擱置它,以后再落實
The realization that I think everyone needs
我覺得人們選擇
to have about that latter option,
選擇后者,就是暫時擱置
putting it on the shelf,
以觀后效
is that you can come back to it.
的時候,是因為這樣可以重新審視它
It will surface back up in another piece of work
在某個時刻,舊點子會以另一種形式重新出現
or another idea at some point in your life.
或者另一個想法在會出現在你的生活中
Having that ability to close off a chapter
結束一個章節
and move on is really, really important.
并且繼續向前的能力非常重要
You can't have all these open threads.
你不可能擁有所有的思路
That's what I realized I was doing.
這是我覺得我在做的事情
That also encouraged me to really write more
這也鼓勵我編寫更多東西
and to really think about what is the story,
并且真正思考這個故事是什么
how are people coming to this
思考人們怎么想它
and like when I show my friends this,
比如我向我的朋友展示的時候
how are they going to react.
他們會怎么反應
I would write it down.
我都可以寫下來
I would actually treat it like a play.
我完全可以把它當做一部戲劇
When I realized that I was writing plays,
當我意識到我在寫劇的時候
I read a lot more plays for style and
我會讀更多劇本來學習形式
for substance and for technique.
內容和技巧
I think it's really good.
我覺得這很好
I think there is another company that I've
我覺得我一直在從
always looked towards for inspiration.
另一家公司汲取靈感
I know a number of people in this room probably have
我知道這個房間里的很多人可能都從
the similar company in mind, which is Apple.
這家公司汲取靈感,它就是蘋果
Apple, I think, is run like a theater company.
我覺得蘋果公司就像個劇團
It has a great sense of pacing.
它有很濃重的前進意識
It has a great sense of story.
并且有厚重的故事性
It has a great sense of execution.
還有很好的表演技巧
It's all event-driven.
它總是用故事來發展自己
It's all stage-driven,
用舞臺來發展自己
the stage being a billboard and the stage being
舞臺就是個宣傳板,舞臺就是基調
a keynote or the stage being a product launch.
或者舞臺就是產品發布會
All of it has a very, very cohesive end-to-end story.
它的一切都是一個完整的,首尾相連的故事
I mean, you think about what happened when
我的意思是,你想想當
Steve Jobs came back to the company.
史蒂夫·喬布斯回到公司會發生什么
The first thing he did is he killed every
他會做的第一件事就是
product line the company was working on.
停止每一條公司正在運作的生產線
For two years they had no product
兩年來他們沒有任何產品
on the market whatsoever.
進入市場
All they had were a bunch of posters all
他們所有的就是一堆世界各處粘貼的
around the world with Steve's heroes.
史蒂夫的英雄的海報
It said, "Think different."
上面寫著:"另類思考"
It was just focused on bringing up the product and
蘋果只專注于提升產品
making people wear the brand again and how the brand
讓人們再次接受品牌
is aligning to this particular feeling and story.
想辦法讓品牌能喚起一種情感和故事
And then, they came out with the iMac and
之后他們推出了iMac
then built iTunes and then the iPod.
之后是iTunes和iPad
They realized, "Wait a minute. People are
他們意思到 "等等,人們
carrying music on their phones now.
在用手機聽音樂了
So, we better build a phone, iPhone."
所以我們應該推出新的手機 iPhone."
So, this unfolding of the plot and
蘋果的情節展開
the epic story has been very,
和史詩般的敘事
very interesting to watch,
都非常有趣
especially if you look back to that time
特別是回首他剛回公司的時候
when he came back to the company.
這兩點更為有趣
So, I have learned a lot from that company and other
所以我從這個公司和其他
companies who operate in a similar fashion.
以同樣形式運行的公司學到了很多