
The second critical decision is during the summer of 2001.
第二個重要決定發生于2001年夏天
Internet industry was in a very difficult time at that time,
當時互聯網行業正處于困境
at that period, and we gradually realized that this company cannot really
如果堅持做后臺搜索技術提供商
survive if we stick with the backend technology providers thing.
這個公司將無法生存
So I made the decision to switch gear and
所以我決定將公司轉型
become a consumer-oriented search site.
成為一家客戶導向型的搜索網站
The risk for that is you basically start to compete
這樣做的風險是
with every single one of your customers.
原來的客戶都成了競爭對手
They pay you money, we had a lot of very famous,
他們付你錢,那時我們有許多有名的
very prominent customers, but all of a sudden,
重量級的客戶,但突然間
we started to compete with every one of them. It's quite risky.
客戶變成了對手,這么做風險很大
We had a lot of arguments within the management,
當時在管理層內發生了許多爭論
within the board, and among the investors,
在董事會以及投資方方面也是如此
and I finally decided that's the way to go.
但我決心要走這條路
Because if we don't do that,
如果不這樣做
a year from now I don't see the company doubles in revenue
一年之后,公司的營業額就不能翻一番
and I don't really see the future of this company.
那么公司的未來也變得迷茫
So we made that decision and moved on.
于是我們做出決定并開始行動
This decision is also hard to make because
之所以這是一個困難的決定還因為
when you are a backend technology provider,
當作為后臺技術提供商時
it's like selling a piece of commodity.
就像出售一件商品似的
You just need to be as good as everyone else on the market.
只需做得跟其他供應商一樣好即可
When you decide to become a front-end consumer-oriented service,
當作為前端客戶導向型的服務提供商時
you really need to be better than your competition.
就需要做得比競爭者更好
Not just a little bit better,
不僅僅是好一點兒
but significantly better than your competition,
而是好一大截兒
because you are a latecomer.
因為你是新來的
There are already a number of Chinese search services on the market.
當時的市場上已有許多中文搜索服務
And in order to stand out,
想要脫穎而出
you really need to come up with a much better technology,
就需要研發出更好的技術
a much better product, and much better user experiences.
更好的產品 更好的用戶體驗
So that's the risk I took. But I'm really glad I took that risk.
這就是我所承擔的風險 我很高興當時冒了這個險
Now Baidu has become one of the best-known Chinese
正因為這個決定 百度已成為
brands in the world because of that decision.
世界知名的中國品牌之一
The third decision I made, I actually also mentioned that,
第三個決定,我之前也提到過
was Project Blitzen.
就是 "Blitzen" 項目
Shortly after we decide to become a consumer brand,
公司轉型后不久
I realized that our technology was not as good.
我意識到我們的技術沒有那么好
So I went back to Engineering and told them,
于是我跟工程師團隊說到
"OK, guys, we need to work harder. And I'm not under CEO.
大家還要加把勁
Don't consider me as CEO. Consider me as your project manager.
不要把我當成CEO 就當做是一個項目經理
You guys are engineers. You are used to come to the office
作為工程師,你們習慣了
10 am in the morning. No. Starting from today,
早上十點到辦公室,但是從明天開始
you need to come 9 am in the morning and have a meeting with me."
早上九點你們就得到公司,然后開會
And I'm holding meetings twice a day with the engineers and pushing
類似的會議一天兩次
them to move faster and come up with better quality search services.
督促他們加快開發進度,開發出更高質量的搜索引擎
I did that for about 10 months of period,
這樣做了有10個月之久
and that resulted it being a better or
結果就是
the best Chinese search technology.
百度擁有了更好或者是最好的中文搜索技術
So I think that's the three very critical decisions
以上三點就是我在百度早期
I made during the early days of Baidu.
作出的重要決定