And one of my greatest lessons
我在建立并且經營推特和
that I learned in starting
建立和經營Square的時候
and running Twitter and starting and running Square was
學到的最大的教訓是
how important it is to instrument all usage.
是一定要監測一切應用行為
You have to instrument everything.
你必須要監測所有事情
For the first two years of Twitter's life,
推特誕生的頭兩年
we were flying blind.
我們經營的很盲目
We had no idea what was going on with the network.
我們不知道這個網絡會怎么樣
We had no idea what was going on with the system,
我們不知道這個系統會怎么樣
with how people were using it. We were making guesses.
也不知道人們用得怎么樣,我們只是在猜測
We were basing everything on intuition instead of
我們在所有事情都建立在直覺的基礎上
having a good balance between intuition and data.
而并沒有很好地數據依據
We were going down all the time because of it,
因此,我們的業績一路下滑
because we could not see what was happening.
也因為我們無法預測會發生什么
So, the first thing I wrote for Square
所以我們為Square在服務器上編寫的
on the server was an admin dashboard.
第一個東西就是管理控制臺
We have a very, very strong discipline
我們公司內部
within the company,
有很強的紀律性
which is now 72 people,
現在公司已經有72人
to log everything,
負責記錄一切
to measure everything and to test everything.
衡量一切,測試一切
We treat the dashboard, we treat the analytics,
我們要管理控制臺,管理分析
we treat the data as a product.
要像管理產品一樣管理數據
We call it the inference team.
我們叫做推理隊
Their job is to instrument all usage
他們的工作就是監測一切應用行為
and infer all action.
并推斷所有的行動
That's something that we need.
這是我們所需要的
But it's also something that our users need.
也是我們的用戶所需要的
All that data is really, really interesting.
所有這些數據都非常有意思
It speaks to a market that
它同的對話對象
has never really been addressed.
是一個從未得到重視的市場
Ninety-four percent of commerce is still offline.
94%的商業活動還是在線下進行
Only 6% has moved online.
只有6%在網上進行
So, it's a massive, massive market
所以這是個非常非常大的市場
and they have no tools whatsoever.
只是人們沒有好的開發工具