
But in any case, I thought I had no choice.
無論什么情況,我都沒有選擇
So I put my head down and focused on operation technology,
我選擇腳踏實地工作,專注于公司的運營
focused on the user's experience, and I delivered.
專注于提升用戶體驗,這一切我都做到了
At the time of the IPO,
當百度IPO上市的時候
Baidu had about 40% of the traffic share in China
百度占據了
for Chinese search.
中國40%的中文搜索量
Four years later, as of today,
而四年之后的今天
I think we have about 76% of the Chinese search traffic.
這個數據已經上升到76%
In fact, I think Baidu answers more queries
說實話,中國人使用百度搜索的次數
in China today than Google does in the U.S.
比在美國人使用谷歌搜索的次數還要多
because China is the largest Internet economy by population.
因為按人口算中國是最大的互聯網經濟體
At the end of last June, we had 336 million Internet users.
在去年六月底,網民總數達3億3千6百萬
That's larger than the total U.S. population.
比美國總人口數還多
So U.S. will never be able to catch up.
所以美國就別想趕上中國了
And you know we have
在中國,百度占據著
a very dominant traffic share over there,
絕大部分的流量份額
so it's really a very good spot to be in.
這是一個很吸引人的地方
So in retrospect, I think the way to deal with crisis,
回首去年,我們應對危機
deal with challenge,
面對挑戰時
deal with difficult times, is like this:
所采取的方法就是
First, you need to be realistic.
首先,要變得現實一些
You need to take a pragmatic approach,
采取切實有效的方法
because in the beginning,
因為一開始
we saw the portal companies, well, feed us.
可以找到門戶網站
They would pay us enough money,
利用他們的錢來維持公司運營
but that's not the reality.
但這不是長久之計
When the difficult time comes,
一旦遇到困境
they will try to survive by themselves.
他們會選擇自保
They will try to control cost. You have to be on your own.
因此他們會控制成本,到那時,就只能靠自己了
And then we figured that what we're
之后我們發現
really good at was Chinese search.
中文搜索才是公司的王牌
We decided to come up with better search service,
于是公司決定開發更好的搜索服務
better product, better user experience.
更好的產品,更好的用戶體驗
We started to innovate,
不斷創新
come up with all kinds of features that
設計出各式各樣的新功能
attract the Chinese Internet users.
來吸引中國的網民
So the second step is you really need to
第二步,要不斷創新
innovating and evolving.
并在創新中發展
When I talk about I give up the CEO job
我曾說過要放棄CEO的職位
and functioned as the project manager,
而成為一個項目經理
we actually named that project as "Project Blitzen".
那個項目名叫 Blitzen
We wanted to quickly catch up and surpass everyone
希望能夠通過該項目在為中國網民
in terms of search quality for Chinese users.
提供搜索的質量,迅速趕超別人
Once you find out what you should do,
一旦確定了目標
then you need to stay focused.
就要專注
That's what we did during the difficult
這就是我們在2000至2002年困難時期
times back in year 2000, 2001, 2002.
所做的一切
Many people think search was a done deal. It's boring.
很多人認為搜索沒有開發空間,很無聊
Everyone has figured that out
在技術和產品方面
in terms of technology and product,
大家都已經想透了
but we thought we could do a better job.
但我堅持我們能做得更好
We resisted all kinds of temptations from being a portal,
曾經有許多誘惑擺在面前,比如轉型做門戶網站
being an SMS player, do online game,
做SMS,網絡游戲
developing all kinds of things
以及各種
that could make money in the short term.
能在短期內掙錢的東西
We really, really focused on Chinese search.
我們沒有想那么多,只是專注于開發中文搜索
That's how we got here.
才有了今天的成就