But what we quickly found was
但是百度
that we were still losing money.
仍然在虧損
Although we probably signed up the portal companies that
盡管占中國搜索流量超過80%的門戶網站
represent more than 80% of the Chinese search traffic,
都與我們簽了約
Baidu still could not survive.
百度的生存問題
That's the challenge we faced.
仍然嚴峻
So quickly I realized that we were too optimistic
很快我就意識到
about the future of Internet in China.
對于中國互聯網的未來看的太過樂觀
At that time, there were only about
那時在中國
10 million Internet users.
只有約1000萬的網民
And the portal companies didn't want
因此門戶網站并不愿意
to buy the best search technology.
購買最好的搜索技術
They only want to buy the cheapest technology.
而是去選擇最便宜的
That made our life very hard.
這使公司發展舉步維艱
So we realized that and I made the decision:
于是我決定:
we need to change.
必須變革
We need to change to a different business model
公司要改變以往的商業模式
so that we can come up with better technology,
來促進新技術的研發
and the better search technology
而且新技術
can be appreciated by the market.
是受市場歡迎的
So in the summer of 2001,
于是在2001年夏
we decided to switch gear from a backend technology provider
公司決定從后臺技術提供者
to a front-end consumer-oriented search service.
轉變為直接面向消費者的搜索服務提供方
And on September 20th, 2001, Baidu.com went live.
2001年9月20日 Baidu.com上線了
So it's been more than eight years.
八年多的時間過去了
From that day on, I think we really found
從那天開始,我們終于找到了
what was right for this company.
真正適合公司的東西
Then we really focused on developing the best Chinese
之后,我們致力于開發中國最好的搜索技術
search technology and dominate the market.
并掌控市場