Lesson 77. Think Before You Speak
第77課 三思而后言
Sometimes we say things without thinking.
有時候我們說話沒有經過思考。
Very often a thoughtless remark may hurt others' feelings or cause a misunderstanding or an embarrassment.
一段欠缺思考的話往往會傷害到別人的感情,或會造成誤會甚至尷尬的情況。
We must, therefore, always think before we speak.
因此,我們說話前必須先思考。
Once I told an old friend how beautiful his girlfriend looked when I saw them together at a movie theater the other day.
有一次我告訴一位老朋友我前幾天在電影院看到他們在一塊兒,而他的女朋友看起來美極了。
Unfortunately, I made a mistake.
很不幸,我弄錯了。
It happened that she wasn't with my friend. She was with someone else.
恰巧她不是跟我朋友在一起,她是跟別人。
I had let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.
我可以說是無意中泄露了秘密。
I'd never been so embarrassed in my life.
我這輩子從來沒有那么尷尬過。
I certainly learned my lesson, but at a very high price.
我的確學到了教訓,但是付出了很大地代價。
His girlfriend never spoke to me again!
他的女朋友再也沒有跟我講過話。
And to make matters worse, it is rumored that they eventually broke up.
更糟的是,謠傳他們最終分手了。