"What did you do with yourself today?" he asked, snapping me out of my reverie.
“你今天一個人都做了些什么?”他問道,猛地把我從沉思里拉了出來。
"Well, this afternoon I just hung out around the house…" Only the very recent part of this afternoon, actually. I tried to keep my voice upbeat, but my stomach was hollow. "And this morning I was over at the Cullens'."
“嗯,今天下午我只是在屋外到處轉了轉……”事實上,只是在下午很晚的時候。我試圖讓自己的聲音顯得很快樂,但我實在是有些心虛。“還有今天早上,我去了卡倫家。”
Charlie dropped his fork.
查理的叉子掉了下來。
"Dr. Cullen's place?" he asked in astonishment.
“卡倫醫生那里?”他驚愕地問道。
I pretended not to notice his reaction. "Yeah."
我假裝沒注意到他的反應。“是的。”
"What were you doing there?" He hadn't picked his fork back up.
“你去那里做什么?”他沒有撿起他的叉子。
"Well, I sort of have a date with Edward Cullen tonight, and he wanted to introduce me to his parents… Dad?"
“嗯,我今晚跟愛德華·卡倫算是有個約會,而他想先把我介紹給他的父母……爸爸?”
It appeared that Charlie was having an aneurysm.
查理看上去像是得了動脈瘤。
"Dad, are you all right?"
“爸爸,你還好吧?”
"You are going out with Edward Cullen?" he thundered.
“你要和愛德華·卡倫出去?”他怒吼道。
Uh-oh. "I thought you liked the Cullens."
啊噢。“我還以為你喜歡卡倫家的人。”
"He's too old for you," he ranted.
“他對你來說太老了。”他怒氣沖沖地叫嚷著。
"We're both juniors," I corrected, though he was more right than he dreamed.
“我們都是高中生。”我更正道,雖然他比他料到的還要正確。
"Wait…" He paused. "Which one is Edwin?"
“等等……”他頓了頓。“哪個是埃德溫?”
"Edward is the youngest, the one with the reddish brown hair." The beautiful one, the godlike one…
“愛德華是最小的那個,長著紅棕色頭發的那個。”最俊美的那個,最像天神的那個……
"Oh, well, that's" — he struggled — "better, I guess. I don't like the look of that big one. I'm sure he's a nice boy and all, but he looks too… mature for you. Is this Edwin your boyfriend?"
“哦,好吧,那”——他掙扎著——“好多了,我猜。我不喜歡那個老大的長相。我相信他各方面都是個不錯的男孩,但他看上去太……對你來說,太成熟了。那個埃德溫是你的男朋友嗎?”
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。