"That's wonderful, Jess," I said.
“太棒了,杰西?!蔽艺f道。
"So what did you do yesterday?" Jessica challenged, still sounding bothered by my lack of attention. Or maybe she was upset because I hadn't asked for details.
“那么,你昨天做了什么?”杰西卡問道,聽起來還在為我的心不在焉而惱怒著?;蛟S她只是有些失落,因為我沒有問起更加詳細的細節。
"Nothing, really. I just hung around outside to enjoy the sun."
“沒做什么,真的。我只是在外頭晃悠,享受陽光。”
I heard Charlie's car in the garage.
我聽到查理的車開進車庫的聲音。
"Did you ever hear anything more from Edward Cullen?"
“你聽到任何關于愛德華·卡倫的最新消息了嗎?”
The front door slammed and I could hear Charlie banging around under the stairs, putting his tackle away.
前門被砰地關上了,我聽到查理在樓梯底下乒乒乓乓地收拾著他的裝備。
"Um." I hesitated, not sure what my story was anymore.
“呃嗯。”我遲疑著,不敢肯定要怎么掰我的故事。
"Hi there, kiddo!" Charlie called as he walked into the kitchen. I waved at him.
“嗨,你在啊,孩子!”查理一邊走進廚房,一邊喊道。我向他招了招手。
Jess heard his voice. "Oh, your dad's there. Never mind — we'll talk tomorrow. See you in Trig."
杰西聽到了他的聲音?!芭叮惆衷诎?。沒關系——我們明天再聊。三角函數課上見。”
"See ya, Jess." I hung up the phone.
“回見,杰西?!蔽覓焐狭穗娫挕?/p>
"Hey, Dad," I said. He was scrubbing his hands in the sink. "Where's the fish?"
“嗨,爸爸。”我說道。他在水槽里擦洗著手。“魚在哪里?”
"I put it out in the freezer."
“我放進冰箱里了。”
"I'll go grab a few pieces before they freeze — Billy dropped off some of Harry Clearwater's fish fry this afternoon." I worked to sound enthusiastic.
“我得搶在它們被凍起來以前拿點出來——下午時比利來過,帶了一點哈利?克里爾沃特的煎魚來?!蔽遗ψ屪约郝犉饋頍崆樾?/p>
"He did?" Charlie's eyes lit up. "That's my favorite."
“真的?”查理的眼睛發亮了。“那是我的最愛。”
Charlie cleaned up while I got dinner ready. It didn't take long till we were sitting at the table, eating in silence. Charlie was enjoying his food. I was wondering desperately how to fulfill my assignment, struggling to think of a way to broach the subject.
在我準備晚餐的時候,查理動手把自己收拾干凈。沒過多久,我們倆就坐在了桌旁,沉默地吃著晚餐。查理很喜歡今晚的菜式。我則在拼命地想著要怎樣進行自己的安排,掙扎著想要找出一種引出話題的辦法。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死?!边@同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。