The kitchen was bright, happy, seeming to absorb my mood.
廚房顯得既明朗又歡快,似乎被我的情緒感染到了。
"What's for breakfast?" I asked pleasantly.
“早餐吃什么?”我快活地問道。
That threw him for a minute.
這個問題讓他想了足足一分鐘。
"Er, I'm not sure. What would you like?" His marble brow puckered.
“呃,我不能肯定。你喜歡吃什么?”他大理石般的額頭皺了起來。
I grinned, hopping up.
我咧嘴一笑,跳了起來。
"That's all right, I fend for myself pretty well. Watch me hunt."
“那好吧,我可是很擅長自力更生的。看著我怎么狩獵?!?/p>
I found a bowl and a box of cereal. I could feel his eyes on me as I poured the milk and grabbed a spoon. I sat my food on the table, and then paused.
我找出一只碗和一盒麥片。當我把牛奶倒進去,抓起一把勺子的時候,我能感覺到他的眼睛在看著我。我把自己的食物放到桌子上,然后停住了。
"Can I get you anything?" I asked, not wanting to be rude.
“需要我給你弄點什么吃的嗎?”我不想顯得太過無禮,于是問道。
He rolled his eyes. "Just eat, Bella."
他轉了轉眼睛。“吃吧,貝拉?!?/p>
I sat at the table, watching him as I took a bite. He was gazing at me, studying my every movement. It made me self-conscious. I cleared my mouth to speak, to distract him.
我坐到桌子旁,看著他,然后吃了一口。他注視著我,研究著我的每一個動作。這讓我很不自在。我咽下嘴里的食物,開口說話,想要分散他的注意力。
"What's on the agenda for today?" I asked.
“今天有什么安排嗎?”我問道。
"Hmmm…" I watched him frame his answer carefully. "What would you say to meeting my family?"
“呃嗯……”我看著他仔細地斟酌著自己的答案?!澳阌X得去見我的家里人怎么樣?”
I gulped.
我吞咽了一下。
"Are you afraid now?" He sounded hopeful.
“你現在害怕了?”他聽起來滿懷希望。
"Yes," I admitted; how could I deny it — he could see my eyes.
“是的?!蔽姨拱椎?。我怎么可能否認呢——他從我眼里就能看出來。
"Don't worry." He smirked. "I'll protect you."
“別擔心。”他壞笑起來?!拔視Wo你的?!?/p>
"I'm not afraid of them," I explained. "I'm afraid they won't… like me. Won't they be, well, surprised that you would bring someone… like me… home to meet them? Do they know that I know about them?"
“我不是在害怕他們。”我解釋道。“我是在害怕他們會……不喜歡我。難道他們不會,嗯,很驚訝,你居然帶了一個……像我這樣的人……回家去見他們?他們知道我知道他們的事嗎?”
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死?!边@同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。