"I could hardly leave in the clothes I came in — what would the neighbors think?"
“我不能穿著我來時的衣服離開——鄰居們會怎么想?”
I pouted.
我不悅地撅起嘴。
"You were very deeply asleep; I didn't miss anything." His eyes gleamed. "The talking came earlier."
“你睡得很沉,我沒有錯過任何東西。”他的眼睛閃閃發亮。“夢話提前了。”
I groaned. "What did you hear?"
我呻吟起來。“你聽到了什么?”
His gold eyes grew very soft. "You said you loved me."
他金色的眸子變得非常溫柔。“你說你愛我。”
"You knew that already," I reminded him, ducking my head.
“你早就知道的。”我提醒他,不由得垂下了頭。
"It was nice to hear, just the same."
“那還是一樣,聽到你親口說出來讓我很高興。”
I hid my face against his shoulder.
我把臉埋在他肩膀上。
"I love you," I whispered.
“我愛你。”我耳語著。
"You are my life now," he answered simply.
“而現在,你就是我的生命。”他只答道。
There was nothing more to say for the moment. He rocked us back and forth as the room grew lighter.
此時此刻,我們再也沒有更多的話要說了。他來來回回地搖著我們,房間里漸漸明亮了起來。
"Breakfast time," he said eventually, casually — to prove, I'm sure, that he remembered all my human frailties.
“早餐時間到。”他最終若無其事地說到——這是一種保證,我敢肯定,他在保證他會記得我所有的人類弱點。
So I clutched my throat with both hands and stared at him with wide eyes. Shock crossed his face.
所以,我雙手扼住自己的喉嚨,盯著他看。震驚的神情掠過了他的臉。
"Kidding!" I snickered. "And you said I couldn't act!"
“上當了!”我竊笑著,“你還說我不會演戲!”
He frowned in disgust. "That wasn't funny."
他厭惡地皺起眉:“這一點也不有趣。”
"It was very funny, and you know it." But I examined his gold eyes carefully, to make sure that I was forgiven. Apparently, I was.
“這很有趣,你知道的。”但我仔細地審視著他金色的眼鏡,想知道自己是否被原諒了。很顯然,我被赦免了。
"Shall I rephrase?" he asked. "Breakfast time for the human."
“我應該這樣改述嗎?”他問道。“人類的早餐時間到。”
"Oh, okay."
“哦,好吧。”
He threw me over his stone shoulder, gently, but with a swiftness that left me breathless. I protested as he carried me easily down the stairs, but he ignored me. He sat me right side up on a chair.
他溫柔地把我扔到他石頭一樣的肩膀上,但動作快得讓我透不過起來。他輕而易舉地把我抱下樓,我伉儀過,但被他無視了。他把我放到一張椅子上。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。