His expression shifted instantly to chagrin. "Are you very angry with me?"
他的神情立刻變得苦惱起來。“你很生我的氣嗎?”
"That depends!" I felt and sounded like I'd had the breath knocked out of me.
“那得看情況!”我感覺到,也能聽到,我在大口大口地喘息著。
He waited.
他等待著。
"On?" he urged.
“基于?”他催促著。
"What you heard!" I wailed.
“你聽到了什么!”我哀號道。
Instantly, silently, he was at my side, taking my hands carefully in his.
一轉眼,他已經悄無聲息地站到我身旁,雙手小心地握住我的手。
"Don't be upset!" he pleaded. He dropped his face to the level of my eyes, holding my gaze. I was embarrassed. I tried to look away.
“別生氣!”他懇求道。他俯下臉,和我的眼睛落在同一水平線上,對上了我的目光。我很窘迫,想要移開視線。
"You miss your mother," he whispered. "You worry about her. And when it rains, the sound makes you restless. You used to talk about home a lot, but it's less often now. Once you said, 'It's too green.'" He laughed softly, hoping, I could see, not to offend me further.
“你很思念你的母親。”他耳語道。“你在擔心她。下雨的時候,那聲音總讓你休息不好。你原來常在說家里的事,但現在少多了。有一次你說,‘這里太綠了。’”他溫和地笑著,期待著——我能看出來——不致于太過冒犯我。
"Anything else?" I demanded.
“沒有別的了?”我詰問道。
He knew what I was getting at. "You did say my name," he admitted.
他知道我說的是什么。“你確實說過我的名字。”他坦白道。
I sighed in defeat. "A lot?"
我挫敗地嘆息著。“經常?”
"How much do you mean by 'a lot,' exactly?"
“更確切些,你的‘經常’是指多頻繁?”
"Oh no!" I hung my head.
“哦不!”我垂下頭。
He pulled me against his chest, softly, naturally.
他把我拉到他的胸前,動作是那么的溫柔,那么的自然。
"Don't be self-conscious," he whispered in my ear. "If I could dream at all, it would be about you. And I'm not ashamed of it."
“別難為情,”他在我的耳畔低語著。“如果我能做夢,那一定都是關于你的夢。而且我也不會為此感到羞愧的。”
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。