There was a little silence. Then Toad said sadly, 'You' re right, Ratty.
一陣沉默,然后癩蛤蟆難過地說:你是對的,阿鼠。
Of course you are. How silly and boastful I have been! I shall become a quiet, sensible Toad from now on.
當然,你對。我太愚蠢,太好吹牛了!從現在起,我應該做一個安靜,理智的癩蛤蟆。
In a while I'll walk down to Toad Hall and—'
過一會我就回蛤蟆宅第,然后—
‘Walk down to Toad Hall?' cried the Rat. 'What are you talking about? Haven't you heard ?'
回蛤蟆宅第?水鼠叫道,你在說什么呀?難道你沒聽說?
'Heard what?' said Toad, looking frightened. 'Quick, Ratty, tell me! What haven't I heard?'
聽說什么?癩蛤蟆問道,一副驚恐的樣子,快,阿鼠,告訴我!什么我沒聽說?
'About the Wild Wooders! ' cried the Rat.
關于野樹林的動物!水鼠叫道。
'The Stoats and the Weasels and the Ferrets- they've taken Toad Hall!
大白鼬,黃鼠狼和雪貂—他們占據了蛤蟆宅第!
When you were sent to prison, they came out of the Wild Wood one dark night and broke into the Hall.
當你被送進監獄,他們在一個漆黑的晚上走出野樹林,闖進了你的宅第。
They've been living there ever since— eating your food, drinking your drink, giving wild parties.
從此他們就住在那兒了—吃你的,喝你的,開狂歡晚會。
They've got guns and knives and sticks, and they keep guards round the house night and day.
他們有刀,有槍,有棍棒,日夜都有衛士把守在房子周圍。
They say they' re going to stay there for ever. '
他們說他們將永遠住下去。
At first Toad couldn't believe it.
剛開始癩蛤蟆怎么也不能相信這件事。
But he had gone up to Toad Hall, and two ferrets in the garden had laughed at him, and the stoats who were guarding the walls had shot at him.
他還是去了蛤蟆宅第,只見兩只雪貂站在花園里嘲笑著他,守衛在墻頭上的大白鼬向他開槍射擊。
Toad dropped flat in the road and the bullet passed over his head.
癩蛤蟆急忙趴在地上,子彈從他頭上飛過。
He went back, very unhappy, to the Water Rat.
他非常沮喪地回到了水鼠家。
That night there was a meeting in the Rat's house.
那天晚上在水鼠家里有個會。
The Mole and the Badger came, to talk about plans to take back Toad Hall from the Wild Wooders.
鼴鼠和獾要來一起商量怎么從野樹林動物手中奪回蛤蟆宅第。
關于《風雨河岸柳》
肯尼思·格雷厄姆的母親因猩紅熱病逝后,外公外婆把他帶到鄉間撫養長大。他小時候流連的田野風光,后來成為《柳林風聲》中鼴鼠、河鼠、獾與癩蛤蟆先生結伴暢游的世界。