She turned and saw Laurie behind her.Please forgive me,he said.Come and have something to eat.
她轉過身,看見羅瑞站在她身后。請原諒我吧,他說。來吃點東西吧。
Meg tried to look annoyed.
麥格盡力裝做不開心。
Please come,he said again.I dont like your dress,but I do think you are—wonderful.
來吧,他又說,我不喜歡你的衣服,可我確實覺得你—很出色。
Meg smiled and found it impossible to stay angry with him.
麥格笑了,她發現根本不可能跟他生氣。
Please dont tell them at home about my dress,she said.
千萬別告訴家里人我的衣服的事,麥格說。
They wont understand that it was just for fun,and it will worry Mother.
她們不會明白那只是為了好玩兒,媽媽會擔心的。
I was stupid to wear it,but Ill tell them myself.
我穿這身衣服真是愚蠢,可我會親自告訴她們。
I wont say anything,he promised.
我什么也不會說。他發誓說。
He did not see her again until supper time,when she was drinking wine with two other boys.
他直到晚飯時才又見到她,她正在跟另外兩個男孩喝葡萄酒。
Youll feel ill tomorrow,if you drink much of that,Meg,Laurie whispered to her.
如果你喝得多了,你明天會難受的,麥格,羅瑞輕聲對她說。
Im not Meg tonight,she said.Im a doll who does crazy things.Tomorrow,Ill be good again.
我今晚不是麥格,她說。我是一個做瘋狂事的玩具娃娃。明天我就變好了。
Meg danced and laughed and talked to as many young men as she could manage,
麥格又跳又笑,盡可能地跟很多年輕紳士談話,
but went to bed feeling that she hadnt enjoyed herself as much as she had expected.
可她上床睡覺時并沒像她期待的那樣感覺玩得很開心。
關于《小婦人》
書中的女主角喬是作者的影子,寫來更具光彩。她生性豪放,強調自我奮斗。當初父親馬奇先生因為幫助一個不幸的朋友而失去家產,兩個大的女孩懇求父母讓她們自己謀生。