媽媽做的,麥格說。
Aunt March sent it,said Jo.
馬奇姑媽送來的,瓊說。
Youre all wrong,laughed Mrs March.Old Mr Laurence sent it!
你們都錯了,馬奇太太笑著說,是老勞倫斯先生送來的!
The Laurence boys grandfather?said Meg.But we dont know him.
是那個勞倫斯家的小男孩的祖父?麥格問,可我們不認識他呀。
Hannah told his servant about your breakfast party,and that pleased him,said Mrs March.
海娜給他的仆人講了你們的早餐聚會,那讓他感到很高興,馬奇太太說,很多年前他就認識我父親。
He knew my faher many years ago,and he sent me a note this afternoon,asking if he could send my cbildren a few small Christmas presents.
今天下午他送來張紙條,問他可否給我的孩子送些圣誕禮物。
The idea came from that boy,I know it did!said Jo.
這一定是那個男孩的主意,我知道,瓊說,
Im sure he wants to know us,but hes shy,
他一定是想認識我們,可他很怕羞。
and Meg wont let me speak to him when we pass him in the street.
我們在街上碰到他時麥格不讓我跟他講話。
She says that its not at all polite for young ladies to introduce themselves to strangers.
她說女孩子主動跟陌生人搭訕太沒禮貌。
You mean the people who live in the big house next door,don't you?
你是說住在隔壁大房子里的人嗎?
said one of the other girls.My mother knows old Mr Laurence.
其他女孩子中的一個問。我媽媽認識勞倫斯先生。
She says he keeps his grandson in the house when the boy isnt riding or walking with his tutor,and makes him study very hard.
她說除了騎馬和跟家庭教師散步,他總讓孫子呆在屋里,讓他用功學習。
We invited the boy to our party but he didnt come.
我們曾邀請那男孩參加我們的聚會,可他沒來。
That boy needs to have some fun,said Jo.
那個男孩需要些樂趣,瓊說。

關于《小婦人》
所有這些,賦予這本書超越時代和國度的生命力,這也正是她成為不朽的經典的魅力和原因所在。