"This is slow?"
“這叫慢?”
"Enough commentary on my driving," he snapped. "I'm still waiting for your latest theory."
“就我的駕駛而言,相當中肯。”他忽然改變了話題。“我還等著聽你的最新理論呢。”
I bit my lip. He looked down at me, his honey eyes unexpectedly gentle.
我咬住唇。他低頭看著我,蜜糖似的眼神出奇地溫柔。
"I won't laugh," he promised.
“我不會笑的。”他保證道。
"I'm more afraid that you'll be angry with me."
“我更怕你會生我的氣。”
"Is it that bad?"
“有那么糟嗎?”
"Pretty much, yeah."
“沒錯,相當嚴重。”
He waited. I was looking down at my hands, so I couldn't see his expression.
他等待著。我埋頭看著自己的雙手,這樣我就看不見他的表情了。
"Go ahead." His voice was calm.
“接著說。”他的聲音很平靜。
"I don't know how to start," I admitted.
“我不知道從何說起。”我坦白道。
"Why don't you start at the beginning… you said you didn't come up with this on your own."
“為什么不從頭說起呢……你說你不是自己想出來的。”
"No."
“不是。”
"What got you started — a book? A movie?" he probed.
“你是從哪兒開始的——一本書?一部電影?”他試探著說。
"No — it was Saturday, at the beach." I risked a glance up at his face. He looked puzzled.
“不——是周六,在海灘上。”我冒險瞄了一眼他的臉。他看上去很困惑。
"I ran into an old family friend —Jacob Black," I continued. "His dad and Charlie have been friends since I was a baby."He still looked confused.
“我碰巧遇到了一位世交好友——雅克布?布萊克。”我繼續說道。“我還是個嬰兒的時候,他爸爸和查理就已經是老朋友了。”他依然一臉困惑。
"His dad is one of the Quileute elders." I watched him carefully. His confused expression froze in place. "We went for a walk —" I edited allmy scheming out of the story "— and he was telling me some old legends —trying to scare me, I think. He told me one…" I hesitated.
“他爸爸是奎魯特人的長老之一。”我小心翼翼地看著他。他困惑的神情立刻凝在了臉上。“我們一起散步——”我去掉了故事里關于我的陰謀的那部分“——他告訴了我一些古老的傳說——只是想要嚇唬我,我想。他告訴了我一個……”我躊躇起來。
"Go on," he said.
“繼續。”他說。
《暮光之城》
與圖書題目相得益彰的是,“暮光之城”系列別具匠心的封面設計則很好地傳達出了每本書內在的深遠寓意。斯蒂芬妮·梅爾指出《暮色》封面上的蘋果代表“創世紀” 內善惡樹上的禁果。象征貝拉和愛德華之間人類與吸血鬼禁忌的愛戀。在書的開頭引用了“創世紀”217頁的內容:“只是分別善惡樹上的果子,你不可吃,因為你吃的日子必定死。”這同時也代表了貝拉如何分辨善惡——選擇是否吃下那顆禁忌的果實,這比喻了選擇跟愛德華在一起或遠離他。