But how much more are you, Harvard graduates of 2008, likely to touch other people's lives?
但是,哈佛大學的2008屆畢業生們,你們多少人有可能去觸及他人的生命?
Your intelligence, your capacity for hard work, the education you have earned and received,
你們的智慧,你們努力工作的能力,以及你們所受到的教育,
give you unique status, and unique responsibilities.
給予你們獨特的地位和責任。
Even your nationality sets you apart.
甚至你們的國籍也讓你們與眾不同,
The great majority of you belong to the world's only remaining superpower.
你們絕大部份人屬于這個世界上唯一的超級大國。
The way you vote, the way you live, the way you protest, the pressure you bring to bear on your government, has an impact way beyond your borders.
你們表決的方式,你們生活的方式,你們抗議的方式,你們給政府帶來的壓力,具有超乎尋常的影響力。
That is your privilege, and your burden.
這是你們的特權,也是你們的責任。
If you choose to use your status and influence to raise your voice on behalf of those who have no voice;
如果你選擇利用自己的地位和影響,去為那些沒有發言權的人發出聲音;
if you choose to identify not only with the powerful, but with the powerless;
如果你選擇不僅與強者為伍,還會同情幫扶弱者;
if you retain the ability to imagine yourself into the lives of those who do not have your advantages, then it will not only be your proud families who celebrate your existence,
如果你會設身處地為不如你的人著想,那么你的存在,將不僅是你家人的驕傲,
but thousands and millions of people whose reality you have helped transform for the better.
更是無數因為你的幫助而改變命運的成千上萬人的驕傲。
We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already:
我們不需要改變世界的魔法,我們自己的內心就有這種力量:
we have the power to imagine better.
那就是我們一直在夢想,讓這個世界變得更美好。
I am nearly finished.
我的演講要接近尾聲了。
I have one last hope for you, which is something that I already had at 21.
對你們,我有最后一個希望,也是我21歲時就有的。
The friends with whom I sat on graduation day have been my friends for life.
畢業那天坐在我身邊的朋友現在是我終身的摯交,
They are my children's godparents, the people to whom I've been able to turn in times of trouble, friends who have been kind enough not to sue me when I've used their names for Death Eaters.
他們是我孩子的教父母,是在我遇到麻煩時愿意伸出援手,在我用他們的名字給哈利波特中的“食死徒”起名而不會起訴我的朋友。
At our graduation we were bound by enormous affection,
我們在畢業典禮時坐在了一起,
by our shared experience of a time that could never come again,
因為我們關系親密,擁有共同的永遠無法再來的經歷,
and, of course, by the knowledge that we held certain photographic evidence that would be exceptionally valuable if any of us ran for Prime Minister.
當然,也因為假想要是我們中的任何人競選首相,那照片將是極為寶貴的關系證明。
So today, I can wish you nothing better than similar friendships.
所以今天我可以給你們的,沒有比擁有知己更好的祝福了。
And tomorrow, I hope that even if you remember not a single word of mine,
明天,我希望即使你們不記得我說的任何一個字,
you remember those of Seneca, another of those old Romans I met when I fled down the Classics corridor, in retreat from career ladders, in search of ancient wisdom:
你們還能記得哲學家塞內加的一句至理明言。我當年沒有順著事業的階梯向上攀爬,轉而與他在古典文學的殿堂相遇,他的古老智慧給了我人生的啟迪:
As is a tale, so is life:
生活就像故事一樣:
not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters.
不在乎長短,而在于質量,這才是最重要的。
I wish you all very good lives.
我祝愿你們都有美好的生活。
Thank you very much.
非常感謝大家。