The Smile
微笑
I was sure that I was to be killed.
一想到自己明天就沒命了,
I became terribly nervous.
我不禁陷入極端的惶恐。
I searched my pockets to see if there were any cigarettes, which had escaped their search.
我翻遍了口袋想看看有沒有一支沒被他們搜走的香煙,
I found one and because of my shaking hands,
但我的手緊張得不停發抖,
I could barely get it to my lips.
連將煙送進嘴里都成問題。
But I had no matches, they had taken those.
而我的火柴也在搜身時被拿走了。
I looked through the bars at my jailer.
我透過鐵欄望著外面的警衛。
He did not make eye contact with me.
他并沒有注意到我在看他。
I called out to him, Have you got a light?
我叫了他一聲,能跟你借個火嗎?
He looked at me, shrugged and came over to light my cigarette.
他轉頭望著我,聳了聳肩,然后走了過來,
As he came close and lit the match,
就在他走進點燃我的香煙時,
his eyes accidentally locked with mine.
他的眼光無意中與我的相接觸。
At that moment, I smiled. I don't know why I did that.
這時我突然沖著他微笑。我不知道自己為何有這般反應。
Perhaps it was nervousness, perhaps it was because,
也許是過于緊張,或者是因為,
when you get very close, one to another,
當你如此靠近另一個人,
it is very hard not to smile.
你很難不對他微笑。
In any case, I smiled.
不管是處于何種理由,我對他笑了。
In that instant, it was as though a spark jumped across the gap between our two hearts, our two human souls.
就在這一剎那,這抹微笑如同火花般打破了我們心靈間的隔閡。
I knew he didn't want to,but my smile leaped through the bars and generated a smile on his lips, too.
受到了我的感染,他的嘴角不自覺地也現出了笑容。雖然我知道他原無此意。
He lit my cigarette but stayed near,looking at me directly in the eyes and continuing to smile.
他點完火后并沒立刻離開,兩眼盯著我瞧,臉上仍帶著微笑。
I kept smiling at him,now aware of him as a person and not just a jailer.
我也以笑容回應,仿佛他是個朋友而不是個守著我的警衛。
And his looking at me seemed to have a new dimension, too.
他看著我的眼神也少了當初的那股兇氣。
Do you have kids? he asked.
你有小孩嗎?他開口問道。
Yes, here, here. I took out my wallet and nervously fumbled for the pictures of my family.
有的,你看。我拿出了皮夾,手忙腳亂地翻出了我的全家福照片。
He, too, took out the pictures of his family and began to talk about his plans and hopes for them.
他也掏出了照片并且開始講述他對家人的期望與計劃。
My eyes filled with tears.
這時我眼中充滿了淚水。
I said that I feared that I'd never see my family again,never have the chance to see them grow up.
我說自己害怕再也見不到家人。我害怕沒機會看著孩子長大。
Tears came to his eyes, too.
他聽了也流下兩行眼淚。
Suddenly, without another word,he unlocked my cell and silently led me out.
突然他二話不說地打開了牢門,悄悄地帶我從后面的小路逃離了監獄。
Out of the jail, quietly and by back routes, out of the town.
離開監獄后,出了小鎮,就在小鎮的邊上,
There, at the edge of town, he released me.
就在那里,他放了我。
And without another word, he turned back toward the town.
之后便轉身往回走,不曾留下一句話。
My life was saved by a smile.
一個微笑居然能救自己一條命。
Yes, the smile-is the unaffected, unplanned,natural connection between people.
是的,微笑是人與人之間最自然真摯的溝通方式。
I really believe that if that part of you and that part of me could recognize each other,we wouldn't be enemies.
如果我們能用心靈去認識彼此,世間不會有結怨成仇的憾事。
We couldn't have hate or envy or fear.
恨意、妒嫉、恐懼也會不復存在。