On the Feeling of Immortality in Youth
有感于青春常在
No young man believes he will ever die.
年輕人不相信自己會死。
It was a saying of my brother's, and a fine one.
這是我哥哥的話,可算得一句妙語。
There is a feeling of eternity in youth,
青春有一種永生之感
which makes us amend for everything.
它能彌補一切。
To be young is to be as one of the immortal Gods.
人在青年時代好像一尊永生的神明。
One half of time indeed is flown,
誠然,生命的一半已以消逝,
the other half remains in store for us with all its countless treasures,
但蘊藏著不盡財富的另一半還有所保留,
for there is no line drawn,and we see no limit to our hopes and wishes.
我們對它也抱著無窮的希望和幻想。
We make the coming age our own-the vast, the unbounded prospect lies before us.
未來的時代完全屬于我們—無限遼闊的遠景在我們面前展現。
Death, old age are words without a meaning that pass by us like the idle air which we regard not.
死亡,老年,不過是空話,毫無意義;我們聽了,只耳邊風,全不放在心上。
Others may have undergone, or may still be liable to them-we "bear a charmed life",
這些事,別人也許經歷過,或者可能要承受,但是我們自己,“在靈符護佑下度日”,
which laughs to scorn all such sickly fancies.
對于諸如此類脆弱的念頭,統統付之輕蔑的一笑。
As in setting out on delightful journey,
像是剛剛走上愉快的旅程,
we strain our eager gaze forward-bidding the lovely scenes at distance hail!
極目遠眺—向遠方的美景歡呼!
And see no end to the landscape,
此時,但覺好風光應接不暇,
new objects presenting themselves as we advance.
而且,前程更有美不勝收的新鮮景致。
So, in the commencement of life,
在這生活的開端,
we set no bounds to our inclinations,
我們聽任自己的志趣馳騁,
nor to the unrestricted opportunities of gratifying them.
放手給它們一切滿足的機會。
We have as yet found no obstacle, no disposition to flag;
到此為止,我們還沒有碰上過什么障礙,也沒有感覺到什么疲憊,
and it seems that we can go on so forever.
因此覺得還可以一直這樣向前走去,直到永遠。
We look round in a new world,full of life, and motion, and ceaseless progress;
我們看到四周一派新天地—生機盎然,變動不居,日新月異;
and feel in ourselves all the vigor and spirit to keep pace with it,
我們覺得自己活力充盈,精神飽滿,可與宇宙并駕齊驅。
and do not foresee from any present symptoms how we shall be left behind in the natural course of things,
而且,眼前也無任何跡象可以證明,在大自然的發展過程中,
decline into old age, and drop into the grave.
我們自己也會落伍,衰老,進入墳墓。
It is the simplicity,
由于年輕人天真單純,
and as it were abstractedness of our feelings in youth, that identifies us with nature,
可以說是茫然無知,因而將自己跟大自然劃上等號;
and deludes us into a belief of being immortal like it.
并且,由于經驗少而感情盛,誤以為自己也能和大自然一樣永世長存。