Internet Threatens Privacy
互聯網威脅個人隱私
In the past, if a shop manager wanted to know you better, he had to rely on a good memory for detail.
在過去,如果一個商店經理想更好地了解你,他不得不有能夠記住細節的好記憶力。
They came out from behind the counter to give you personalized service, browsed the shelves with you and made recommendations.
他們從柜臺后面走出來給你個性化的服務,瀏覽架子上的商品,并給出建議。
Sometimes their recommendations were made with uncanny accuracy, based on hints they picked up about who you are and what you might want.
借助于他們對你的認識,和他們掌握的你的需求的信息,有時候他們能夠給出異常精確的推薦。
They are old tricks for winning loyal customers.
這些是贏得忠實的客戶的老把戲了。
Now take those tricks, add massive computing power and multiply the effect by a million.
現在利用這些技巧,加上巨大的計算能力,那么效果是原先的百萬倍。
That's what is happening these days on the World Wide Web.
這就是如今在萬維網上發生的一切。
On the Web, businesses are making great effort to know you better than you may know yourself.
在網上,企業正努力地增進對客戶的了解,甚至比客戶本人還能認清自己。
It's called personalization. Many e-commerce firms are betting their future on it.
這就叫個性化。很多電子商務公司在賭他們的未來。
In this digital marketplace, the "shop manager" may actually be a machine.
在這個數碼市場,“商店經理”卻有可能是一臺機器。
It searches in its memory of information about you, analyzes it and creates a clear portrait of what you are likely to buy and do in the future.
它可以從內存中搜索到你,分析數據,并且描繪出你今后很可能會買什么和做什么。
Not all companies approach personalization in the same way.
不是所有的公司都會用同樣的方法達到個性化。