ACT III
Hi. I'm Malcolm Stewart. 嗨。我是 Malcolm Stewart。
John Marchetta. 我是John Marchetta。
Sit down, sit down. 請坐,請坐。
Susan has told me a great deal about you. Susan告訴我許多關于你的事。
She says you're quite a man. 她說你是個了不起的人。
She says 她也談起
a lot of wonderful things about you too, Mr. Stewart. 不少你的非凡作為,Stewart先生。
That's always nice to hear, Mr. Marchetta. 聽到這些話總是好的,Marchetta先生。
Call me John. 叫我John 。
May I call you Malcolm? 我能稱你Malcolm 嗎?
Let's talk business. 我們來談談正經事。
That's music to my ears. 正合我意。
I understand 聽說
you used to be in the construction business. 你過去在建筑界工作。
Yup. Forty-three years. 是的,四十三年。
Here's a brief description 這是一份簡單的記錄
of forty-three years of on-the-job training. 關于我四十三年的工作經歷。
That is some history! 這閱歷了不得!
You're a valuable asset, Malcolm. 你是很有價值的資產, Malcolm。
Very valuable. 很有價值。
Thank you. 謝謝你。
Yup. Forty-three years. 是的。四十三年。
Half that time in my own construction company. 一半時間是在我自己的建筑公司。
Big jobs--factories, shopping malls. 大的工程----工廠, 大型購物中心。
That kind of thing. 等等。
Then you retired. 然后你退休了。
Yes. 是的。
After my wife died, 我妻子去世后,
and I felt I should spend more time 我覺得應該多花些時間
with my children and grandchildren. 與兒子孫子們在一起。
I lived in Florida, 我住在Florida,
and they lived in New York. 而他們住在紐約。
I understand. 我了解。
My dautghter Cami lives in New York. 我女兒Cami住在紐約。
I like being near her. 我喜歡離她近一點。
When I came here, 當我初到這兒,
I planned to take a few months off. 我計劃休息幾個月。
Relax with the family and then look for some work. 與家人輕松一段時間然后找個工作。
Put my experience on the line ... 考驗我的閱歷……
but, unfortunately, 但是,很不幸,
there isn't any work for a retired person my age. 沒有適合我這種年紀的退休老人的工作。
Sometimes there is, 有時候有的,
and sometimes there isn't. 有時候沒有。
Well, I'm involved with an organization, 嗯,我參加一個組織,
and we're trying to resolve that problem. 試圖解決這類問題。
What's that? 什么組織?
TOPS. TOPS.
T-O-P-S--means Talented Older People's Society. T-O-P-S 全名是優秀老人協會。
I'd like to be a member. 我想加入做為會員。
How much are the dues? 會費多少?
There are no dues. 不要會費。
The organization serves major companies in this city. 這個組織為本市的各大公司服務。
Why? 為什么?
Because our members are men and women like you. 因為這個組織的會員都是像你這樣的人。
Experienced, talented, retired. 有經驗,有才能,也都退休了。
But our members want to go out there 但會員們希望在社會上
and use their talents. 貢獻他們的才能。
They want to work. 他們想工作。
That is fantastic, John! 那太好了,John!
I've got an idea for you, Malcolm. 我倒替你想出了一個主意,Malcolm。
Just fill out this form for me. 請把這份表填好。
It'll only take a few minutes. 只要幾分鐘時間。
Sit right here, 就坐在這兒填,
and do it while I talk to my secretary. 我去和秘書說個話。
When I get back, we'll talk about my new factory. 我回來后,我們談一談我的新工廠。
My company is a member of TOPS. 我的公司也是優秀老人協會的會員。
So I try hard to find opportunities for people like you. 所以我努力為像你這樣的人尋找機會。
Malcolm. Malcolm。
And when I see an opportunity, 而且當我一看到機會,
I can act on it. 我就可以處理。
Well, I can use your brainpower on the job right now. 嗯,我馬上可以將你的才智用在這項工程上。
Have you got time this morning 今天上午你有時間
to go over to the construction site with me? 去看一看建筑工地嗎?
I'd like to have you meet my foreman-- 我希望帶你去認識工頭---
get some background on the job. 了解這項工程的一些背景。
I've got plenty of time. 我有的是時間。
I'll be right back. 我馬上就回來。
We'll go over to the job site together. 我們等一會兒一起去工地。
Malcolm, you worked on the Spaceport project? Malcolm,你曾負責太空港的工程?
My company was the contractor. 我的公司承包了這項工程。
I built the theater there 我建造這個劇院
with my own two hands, practically. 差不多是獨自完成的。
I understand. 我明白了。
Well, 好的,
I'm glad to see you two guys getting along so well 看到你們兩位相處得這么融洽,我很高興
because, Danny, 因為,Danny,
Malcolm is on the TOPS team. Malcolm是TOPS的一員。
He's going to be working with you for a while. 他將與你一起工作一段時間。
His experience will be valuable to both of us. 他的經驗對你我都很有好處。
Welcome aboard, Malcolm! 歡迎加入,Malcolm。
I'm going back to my office. 我要回辦公室了。
Give me a call later, Malcolm. 請稍后打電話給我,Malcolm。
I'll tell you the time and date of the next TOPS meeting. 我要告訴你TOPS下次聚會的時間。
I'd like you to meet the group. 我希望你能與協會的成員見面。
I will, John. 我會的,John。
And again--thanks. 再次謝謝你。
No ... thank you. 不……謝謝你。
And thank Susan. 還要謝謝 Susan。
He's quite a man. 他是個了不起的人。
A real inspiration for me. 他給我很大的啟發。
OK, Danny. 好啦,Danny。
I know you didn't expect to have me around, 我知道你沒有預料到我出現在你身邊,
but I think I can be of some help to you. 但我覺得我可以對你有所幫助。
Let me tell you something, Malcolm. 我跟你說,Malcolm。
With your background and experience, 依你的背景和經驗,
I can learn something 我能學到一些東西。
... and I do need some advice on a difficult problem. ……我的確有一個難題想請教你。
Let me show you this. 我給你看看這個。
I don't want to give you a final opinion 我不想給你最終的意見
without studying these building plans more carefully. 在沒有仔細研究這些建筑圖的情況下。