Hunting elephants with a camera Martin Johnson
攝像機獵象記 馬丁·約翰遜
Perhaps you have thought that the only way to hunt animals is with a gun,
也許你認為捕獵野生動物的唯一方式是帶上槍,
but Martin Johnson and his wife, Osa, spent many years hunting them with a camera.
但是馬丁. 約翰遜和他的妻子奧薩常年以來卻一直在使用一臺攝像機捕獵大象。
In this story he tells you why camera- hunting is far more dangerous and thrilling than hunting to kill.
在這個故事里,他會告訴你為什么用攝像機捕獵動物比獵殺更加危險,更加刺激。
He also tells some most surprising things about elephants.
同時,他也介紹了關于大象的一些不為人知的事情。
A close call
近距離接觸
My wife, Osa, and I were camera hunting in Africa.
在非洲,我的妻子奧薩和我是“攝像機獵手”。
Boculy, the native whom we had engaged to find elephants for us, came running into camp greatly excited.
我們邀請的幫我們尋找大象的當地人鮑可利激動地沖進營地。
He was out of breath and raised and lowered his hands exclaiming jerkily in Swahili,
他氣喘吁吁地揮舞著手臂,用他的母語斯瓦希里語,激動地大聲喊道:
his native language: Big el-ephants-big elephants-all together-very quiet-come quickly!
“大象——大象——全在一起——非常安靜——快跟我來!”
In a few moments we had our gun bearers and camera boys with their heavy loads under way.
幾分鐘后,我們叫上幫我們保管槍支和攝像設備的男孩,帶著重重的行囊上路了。
Shortly after, we came up with the herd.
不久,我們便追上了象群。
There were seven animals quietly feeding on the edge of the forest.
在森林的邊緣,我們一共發現七頭大象在安靜地進食。
Three were cows, and two were bulls-big fellows. Two totos or babies, wandered about in the tall grass.
三頭母象,兩頭公象,這都是些大家伙。旁邊,還有兩頭“圖圖”,也就是小象,徜徉在高大的熱帶草叢中。
The elephant herd was ideally placed for still pictures, but we wanted action;
要是拍靜態照片的話,那么象群現在的狀態就十分理想,但我們需要它們動起來。
so leaving Osa at the camera, I walked forward to stir things up a bit.
我把奧薩安排在攝像機跟前拍攝,而我自己走上前,想讓大象們稍稍動起來一點兒。