Everyone Likes a Good Story
每個人都喜歡好故事
Even before you could read, you used to ask your father and mother to tell you stories.
你甚至在能夠閱讀之前,就經常讓你的爸爸和媽媽給你講故事。
Everyone likes a good story.
每個人都喜歡好故事。
All over our land there are thousands of libraries, and every year millions of people are reading stories — in books, in magazines, and in newspapers.
全世界有成千上萬的圖書館,每年有數百萬人都在書籍、雜志和報紙上閱讀故事。
Now, of course, not everyone likes the same kind of story.
現在當然并不是每個人都喜歡同一種故事。
You like some better than others.
你也有自己比較喜歡的一些故事。
But there are stories that everyone seems to enjoy;
但是有些故事似乎每個人都喜歡;
the years go by, the stories get older, and yet people go on reading them and enjoying them.
時光流逝,那些故事越來越古老,但是人們還會繼續閱讀和喜歡它們。
Now your Book Comrade will tell you three stories that millions of people have enjoyed.
現在你的書伙伴將給你講述三個數百萬人喜歡的故事。
Two of them are old, written long before you or your parents were born.
其中的兩個是古老的故事,在你或你的父母出生以前很久就有了。
But people still read them, and probably will do so for many long years to come.
但是人們仍在閱讀它們,并且可能在未來的很長時間內還會閱讀。
No one knows who first made them up.
沒有人知道是誰第一個創作了它們。
One of them is given here as it was written down by a great American story- teller, another as it was retold by an English writer of today.
這里敘述的其中一個故事是由一個偉大的美國故事家寫下的,另一個故事是由一個當今的英國作家轉述的。
You could find thousands of boys and girls in lands across the sea who know these stories.
你可以在大洋兩岸找到成千上萬知道這些故事的男孩和女孩。
The third story is not so old, but people have loved it for many years, and you will love it, too.
第三個故事沒有那么古老,但是多年來人們都喜歡它,你也會喜歡它。
After you have read these stories, perhaps you can find others that you will enjoy very much.
讀過這些故事后,你或許會找到其它你非常喜歡的故事。
Then you will be able to tell other people about these stories.
然后就可以把這些故事講給別人聽。