socket
n.插座
The light was not on because I forgot to put the plug into the socket.
這盞燈不亮,因為我忘了把插頭插入插座。
alcohol
n.酒;酒精
I never drink alcohol because I get drunk easily.
我從不喝酒因為我很容易醉。
David drinks low-alcohol beer only.
大衛只喝低酒精含量的啤酒。
fuel
n.燃料vt. vi.填加燃料,激起(憤怒)
Your criticism will only add fuel to the fire.
你的批評只會火上加油而已。
We're running out of gas, so we have to fuel up at the next gas station.
我們汽油快用完了,因此我們得在下個加油站加油了。
Stop talking! Your remarks will only fuel Paul's anger.
別再說了!你的話只會激起保羅的憤怒。
messenger
n.使者
I use MSN Instant Messenger to chat with friends.
我使用MSN即時通與朋友聊天。
settler
n.墾荒者;移民
Peter's grandfather was one of the early settlers of Australia.
彼得的祖父是澳州早期拓荒者之一。
wreck
vt. n.毀壞;船難,(飛機)失事
I wrecked my car this morning, but luckily no one was injured.
今天早上我把車撞毀了,所幸沒有人受傷
No survivors were found in the wreck.
這場事故沒有生還者。
grief
n.悲傷,悲痛
Grief can be so strong that it prevents us from doing anything.
悲傷的情緒可以強烈到使我們無法做任何事情。
The old woman was overcome with grief when she learned that her son was killed in the battlefield.
老婆婆獲知兒子戰死在沙場時,悲傷得痛不欲生。
grieve
vt. vi.(使)悲痛
Paul grieved his wife's death, yet there was nothing he could do.=Paul grieved over his wife's death, yet there was nothing he could do.
保羅傷痛妻子的過世,但卻無能為力。
sincerity
n.誠懇
Peter is a person of sincerity and is well respected in the community.
彼得是個很誠懇的人,在社區內很受尊重。
witch
n.女巫
The witch cast a spell on the frog.
巫婆對著青蛙施咒。