abandon sb to sth
to leave sb, especially sb you are responsible for, with no intention of returning
(不顧責任、義務等)離棄,遺棄,拋棄
The baby had been abandoned by its mother.
這個嬰兒被母親遺棄了。
The study showed a deep fear among the elderly of being abandoned to the care of strangers.
研究表明,老人十分害怕被丟給陌生人照管。
trick
欺騙;欺詐
I'd been tricked and I felt stupid.
我被人騙了,覺得自己真傻。
He managed to trick his way past the security guards.
他想方設法騙過保安員走了。
in the first place
used at the end of a sentence to talk about why sth was done or whether it should have been done or not
(用于句尾,談論某事為何或是否應該做)究竟,到底,當初
I still don't understand why you chose that name in the first place.
我仍不明白,你究竟為什么取了這么個名字。
I should never have taken that job in the first place.
我當初就不該接受那份工作。
promise
promise sth to sb
promise sb sth
to tell sb that you will definitely do or not do sth, or that sth will definitely happen
許諾;承諾;答應;保證
The college principal promised to look into the matter.
學院院長答應研究這個問題。
'Promise not to tell anyone!' 'I promise.'
"你要保證不告訴別人!" "我保證。"