1、suppose
假定;假設;設想
Suppose someone gave you an egg and asked you to describe exactly what was inside.
假設有人給了你一枚雞蛋并要你準確描述雞蛋里面有什么。
Supposing he's right and I do die tomorrow? Maybe I should take out an extra insurance policy.
假設他是對的,我確實明天就會死,那該怎么辦?也許我應該再買一份保險。
(根據所知)認為,推斷,料想
The policy is perfectly clear and I see no reason to suppose that it isn't working.
這項政策非常清楚明了,我沒有理由認為它不會奏效。
I knew very well that the problem was more complex than he supposed.
我很清楚那個問題比他料想的要更復雜。
我看;要我說;我想
I get a bit uptight these days. Hormones, I suppose.
這些天我有點焦躁。我看是荷爾蒙在作怪。
I suppose I'd better do some homework.
我看我最好做做功課。
2、take off
(飛機)起飛
We eventually took off at 11 o'clock and arrived in Venice at 1.30.
我們終于在11點起飛,1:30 到達威尼斯。
(產品、活動、事業等)騰飛,突然成功
They need to expand the number of farmers who are involved if the scheme's going to really take off.
這個方案要想真正成功,他們就需要增加參與的農場主的人數。
In 1944, he met Edith Piaf, and his career took off.
1944 年,他結識了伊迪思·比阿夫,從此他的事業開始騰飛。
(突然)離開,走開,走掉
He took off at once and headed back to the motel.
他立刻離開,回到汽車旅館。
He took himself off to Mexico.
他突然動身去了墨西哥。