● Miranda sacked the last two girls after only a few weeks.
之前的兩個姑娘幾周之內就被米蘭達解雇了。——《時尚女魔頭》
sack
① n. 麻袋,布袋,大袋子;(非正式)開除,解雇
He got the sack for swearing.(swear: 詛咒,罵人)
他因為罵人被開除了。
They were given the sack.
他們被解雇了。
② v. (非正式)開除,解雇
Any official found to be involved would be sacked on the spot.
被發現有牽連的任何官員都將被立即解雇。
If you are late again, the boss will sack you.
如果你再遲到,老板就會解雇你。
● Runway is a fashion magazine, so an interest in fashion is crucial.
《天橋》是一本時尚雜志,因此(應聘者)對時尚的熱衷非常重要。——《時尚女魔頭》
crucial adj.至關重要的,決定性的,緊要關頭的,決定成敗的
The talks are crucial for the success of the plan.
這些談判對計劃的成敗至關重要。
We've entered a crucial stage in the project.
我們已經進入了該項目的關鍵時期。
Her work has been crucial to the project's success.
她的工作對項目的成功至關重要。
Trust is crucial for successful friendship.
相互信任是維系友誼的關鍵。
● Details of your incompetence do not interest me.
我對你無能的細節不感興趣。——《時尚女魔頭》
incompetence n. 無能力,不稱職,不勝任
Their incompetence made me furious(氣急敗壞的).
他們的無能令我火大。
We punished him for his incompetence.
他辦事無能,我們懲罰了他。
incompetent adj. 不勝任的
a forgetful and utterly incompetent assistant.
一個健忘的,完全不勝任的助理。
● It's just baffling to me. Why is it so impossible to ... ?
我真搞不懂。為什么…… 會這么難?——《時尚女魔頭》
baffling adj. 令人困惑的,難解的
a baffling problem 令人困惑的問題
He put forward a baffling question.
他提了一個難題。
baffle v. 使困惑
This is a strange event that baffled everyone.
這是一件讓人人感到困惑的怪事。
The question baffled me completely and I could not answer it.
這個問題把我徹底難倒了,我答不出來。
● And you're also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002 Oscar De la renta did a collection of cerulean gowns.
你也心不在焉忽視了很多,例如在2002年奧斯卡·德拉倫塔設計過一系列的天藍色的禮服。——《時尚女魔頭》
blithe adj. 漠視的,不當一回事的,隨隨便便的
He drove with blithe disregard(不顧,忽視)for the rules of the road.
他開車時完全不顧交通法規。