1. hold still 靜止不動
How can I take your picture if you don't hold still?
你身子老是動,我怎么給你照像?
Hold yourself still for a moment while I take your photograph
我給你拍照的那一剎那, 你不要動。
情景對話:
A: The wound still hurts. 傷口還在疼。
B: If youd hold still, it wouldn't hurt as much! 如果你不動就不會那么疼了!
2. in need of 需要
The brickwork in this house is in need of repair.
這所房子的磚造部分需要修理。
If you are in need of anything, don't hesitate to let me know.
如果你需要什么,盡管對我說。
情景對話:
A: What did the doctor said about your sick? 關于你的病情,醫生說什么了?
B: He told me I was in need of a good rest. 他說我需要好好休息。
3. sth. be the business of sb./sth. 做某事是某人(某物)的職責;
It is the business of the manager to train the workers for suitable jobs.
培養工人以適合做合適的工作是經理的事。
When pleasure is the business of life, it ceases to be pleasure.
當享受成為生活的主要事務時,它就不再是一種享受。
情景對話:
A: What do you think of war? 你怎么看待戰爭?
B: It's the business of barbarians. 戰爭是野蠻人干的事。
4. mean to 意欲,打算
I didn't mean to take a taxi but I had to, as I was late.
我雖然不想坐計程車,但因為太遲了所以非坐不可。
Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you.
對不起,我不是故意嚇唬你的。
情景對話:
A: Why did he say that? 他為何那么說話?
B: He only meant to threaten us. 那只是想威脅我們罷了。
5. take sth. seriously 嚴肅對待某事,相當于deal seriously with;
He was joking. Don't take it seriously.
他是跟你鬧著玩兒的, 你別當真。
They take their responsibilities seriously.
他們認真對待自己的職責。
情景對話:
A: Are you kidding? 你不是在開玩笑吧?
B: Absolutely not, I'm taking it seriously. 當然不是,我是認真的。
6. take advantage of 利用,趁...之機,占...的便宜
It never occurred to me to take advantage of him.
我決沒有想到過要占他的便宜。
You should take advantage of it.
你應該好好利用這個機會。
情景對話:
A: I dislike that man! 我不喜歡那個人。
B: Why? 為什么?
A: He has always been taking advantage of my youth and ignorance. 看我年幼無知,他老是占我的便宜。