1. be supposed to 應該...
Everyone is supposed to wear a seat-belt in the car.
每個人在汽車里都應該系安全帶。
情景對話:
A: When were you supposed to arrive? 你應該什么時候到?
B: I think at 3:00 PM. 我想是下午三點鐘吧。
2.kind of 相當;有一些:
--Is she interested? 她感興趣嗎?
--Well, kind of. 嗯,有點兒。
情景對話:
A: What do you think of Jim? 你認為吉姆怎樣?
B: I think he is kind of weird. 我覺得他有點兒古怪。
3. swing by 進某處一小會兒
I`ll swing by your house this afternoon.
今天下午我會順路到你家去。
情景對話:
A: What did he said about the tour this weekend? 關于周末的郊游他是怎么說的?
B: He promised to swing by and pick us up.他答應繞道來搭載我們。
4. freak out 抓狂,嚇壞,處于極度興奮中
We freaked out when we won the lottery.
中了獎券,我們興奮極了。
There was a bomb scare at the school, and parents were freaking out about their kids' safety.
學校里發生了炸彈恐慌,家長們很擔心孩子的安全。
情景對話:
A: What's wrong with that guy? 那個家伙怎么回事?
B: This ordinary quiet guy just freaked out and shot ten people. 這個平時溫和的家伙簡直發瘋了,開槍打死了十個人。