157.Bad Neighbors
157.壞鄰居
No matter what people tell you, you will have problems with your next door neighbor nine times out of ten!
無論別人告訴你什么,你幾乎總是和你的隔壁鄰居有問題!
It happened to me, I should know!
我就發生過這樣的事,我應該知道!
No sooner had we moved into our new house than our neighbors started to bug us!
我們一搬進新家鄰居就開始煩我們!
First they played loud music, night and day! Then they never mowed their lawn! No kidding!
首先他們把音樂弄得很大,而且是日夜不停!然后他們從來不剪草坪!我是說真的!
You should have seen how tall their grass grew!
你應該見過他們家的草長得有多高!
And then, to top it all off, they cut down our apple tree which was just next to their property line!
接下來最絕的是,他們把我們的蘋果樹砍了,這棵樹就靠近他們家的地界線!
They said they needed room to play ball! Well that was it for me!
他們說他們需要有地方打球!我實在忍無可忍!
I said no dice to their nonesense and demanded that they change their ways, turn down the music, mow their lawn and buy us a new apple tree!
對他們的鬼話我說不行,我要求他們改一改,把音樂弄小一點兒,把草坪剪一剪,完了還要給我們買一棵新的蘋果樹!
They said, "No way!" There was no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't listen!
他們說:"不可能!"我心想他們毫無疑問不會聽!
So I did it myself. I mowed their lawn!
所以我就自己動手!我把他家的草坪剪了!
"No problem!" they replied, not humiliated that their neighbor was mowing their lawn!
"沒問題!"他們回答道,鄰居替他家剪草坪他們一點兒也不覺得不光彩!
No matter how much it bothered me, I still finished the job!
不管有多煩,我還是把這件工作做完了!
Then I called the police!
然后我把警察叫來了!
When they complained that they had next to nothing to help pay for the new apple tree, the police said they could spend a couple nights in jail! They found the money!
他們抱怨說他們幾乎沒有錢幫著買新蘋果樹,警察就告訴他們可以在監獄里呆一兩個晚上!他們最后搞到了錢!
They also no longer played loud music!
他們也不再大聲放音樂了!
City regulations stipulated loud noise as a disturbance of the peace! The police said this to their faces!
城市守則規定聲音太大是擾民行為!警察當面對他們說。
I won! After that, no matter where I went in town, people patted me on the back!
我贏了!從那以后,無論我到城里哪個地方,人們都要表揚我!
Everyone hates a bad neighbor!
大家都討厭壞鄰居!