It's not balanced anymore?
體系不再平衡了?
Right. We take water out, but water also naturally flows out.
對的。我們取出水,但是水還是自然地流出去了。
And the recharge rate doesn't change, so the result is we've reduced the amount of water that's stored in the underground system.
而水的補充率沒有改變,所以結果是我們減少了儲存在地下體系中的水量。
If you keep doing that long enough—
如果我們繼續長期這樣做——
if you pump as much water out as naturally comes in—gradually the underground water levels drop.
抽取同自然流入的水量一樣多的水——逐漸地地下水水位就會下降。
And when that happens, that can affect surface water. How?
到那時,那就會影響地表水。如何?
Well, in underground systems there are natural discharge points—
在地下體系中有自然的排放點——
places where the water flows out of the underground systems, out to lakes and streams.
那些水從地下體系流出進入湖泊和溪流的地方。
Well, a drop in the water level can mean those discharge points will eventually dry up.
水位下降意味著那些排放點最終會枯竭。
That means water's not getting to lakes and streams that depend on it.
從而水不會到達那些依賴著它的湖泊和溪流。
So we've ended up reducing the surface water supply, too.
結果我們也減少了地表水供應。
You know, in the state of Arizona we're managing some major water supplies with this principle of safe yield,
在亞利桑那州,我們正用安全產水量管理著一些主要的水供應,
under a method that will eventually dry up the natural discharge points of those aquifer systems.
用一個終將使那些含水層體系里的排放點枯竭的方法。
Now, why is this an issue?
為什么會有這個問題?
Well, aren't some of you going to want to live in this state for a while?
你們不是想要在這個州住著么?
Want your kids to grow up here, and your kids' kids?
想要你們的孩子在這兒長大,還有你們孩子的孩子?
You might be concerned with...does Arizona have a water supply which is sustainable—key word here?
你也許要擔心,亞利桑那州有沒有可持續的(關鍵詞)水供應?
What that means...the general definition of sustainable is
可持續一般的定義就是,
will there be enough to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of the future to have the availability...to have the same resources?
是否足夠滿足當前的需要且不影響未來有獲得同樣資源的能力?
Now, I hope you see that these two ideas are incompatible: sustainability and safe yield.
我希望你們能看出這兩個想法是不兼容的:可持續和安全產水量。
Because what sustainability means is that it's sustainable for all systems dependent on the water—
因為可持續的意思是其對于所有依賴著水的體系——
for the people that use it and for...uh, for supplying water to the dependent lakes and streams.
對于用水的人們來說,還有對于依賴于湖泊和溪流的供水量,都是可持續的。
So, I'm gonna repeat this: so, if we're using a safe-yield method,
所以我要重復一遍:如果我們應用安全產水量方法,
if we're only balancing what we take out with what gets recharged, but—
如果我們僅僅平衡我們取出的水和得到補給的水,但是——
don't forget, water's also flowing out naturally—
不要忘了,水也正自然地流失——
then the amount stored underground is gonna gradually get reduced and that's gonna lead to another problem.
地下儲水量最終會減少然后會引起另一個問題。
These discharge points—where the water flows out to the lakes and streams—they're gonna dry up. OK.
這些排水點——水流向湖泊和溪流的地方——它們將會枯竭。好了。