Listen to part of a lecture in an astronomy class.
請聽一段天文課上的演講。
You will not need to remember the numbers the professor mentions.
教授提到的數字無需記憶。
OK.Let’s get going. Today I’m going to talk about how the asteroid belt was discovered.
好了。我們開始。今天我要講小行星帶是如何被發現的。
And...I’m going to start by writing some numbers on the board.
我們將從黑板上的這些數字開始。
Here they are: We’ll start with zero, then 3,...6,...12. Uh, tell me what I’m doing.
開始寫了:我們從0 開始,接著是3,6,12......說說我在做什么?
Multiplying by 2?
(所得值)乘以2?
Right. I’m doubling the numbers, so 2 times 12 is 24, and the next one I’m going to write after 24 would be...
不錯。我在使這些數翻倍,所以2 乘以12 是24,24 之后我要寫的數是......48.
48. 48.Then 96. We’ll stop there for now. Uh, now I’ll write another row of numbers under that.
48。48。然后是96。我們暫時停一下。嗯,我在這一組數字下面寫另外一組數字。
Tell me what I’m doing. 4,7,10...How am I getting this second row?
說說我在干什么?4,7,10……第二組數字我是怎么得到的?
Adding 4 to the numbers in the first row.
在第一組數字后面加上4。
I’m adding 4 to each number in the first row to give you a second row.
現在我給第一組數字的每一個數字加4得出第二組。
So the last two will be 52,100, and now tell me what I’m doing.
所以最后兩個數字就是52,100,說說我在做什么?
Putting in a decimal?
十進位排序?
Yes, I divided all those numbers by 10 by putting in a decimal point.
是的,我用這些數除以10。
Now I’m going to write the names of the planets under the numbers.
我現在在這些數字下面寫上行星的名字。
Mercury...Venus...Earth...Mars. So, what do the numbers mean? Do you remember from the reading?
水星......金星......地球......火星。那么,這些數字是什么意思?你們還記得閱讀中的內容嗎?
Is it the distance of the planets from the Sun?
是從這些行星到太陽的距離嗎?
Right. In astronomical units—not perfect, but tantalizingly close.
是的。用天文單位計算——不算精確,但極為接近了。
The value for Mars is off by...6 or 7 percent or so.
火星到太陽的距離來說可能偏差6%到7%。
It’s...but it’s within 10 percent of the average distance to Mars from the Sun.
但……從火星到太遠的平均距離誤差應該在10%以內。
But I kind of have to skip the one after Mars for now.
我暫時先跳過火星后的這顆行星。