Business
商業版塊
Bartleby
巴托比專欄
Back in the air
回到空中
What not to do when you are flying for business
乘飛機出差的注意事項
The Covid-19 pandemic has, thanks to Zoom, killed off many work trips.
多虧了Zoom,新冠肺炎疫情消滅了許多出差任務。
But not all of them.
但沒有把出差完全消滅。
Some in-person meetings far afield are coming back.
一些遠途出差任務又回來了。
And so is business flying.
于是坐飛機出差的情況也回來了。
Plenty of obvious edicts of air-travel etiquette are effortlessly acquired, along with air miles, merely by flying frequently.
許多很明顯的空旅禮儀規矩,以及航空里程,僅僅通過多坐飛機就可以輕松獲得。
As a sophisticated traveller, you probably know the drill by heart.
作為一名老道的旅客,你可能對空旅步驟了如指掌。
Still, air-rage incidents are up markedly compared with pre-pandemic times—by 50% in America and a whopping 200% in Britain.
盡管如此,與疫情前相比,在飛機上發生爭執的事件明顯增加,在美國增加了50%,在英國增加了高達200%。
Some people could do with a refresher.
有些人需要進修一下飛機禮儀。
Many rules of aeroplane decorum apply to all travel.
飛機禮儀的許多規則也適用于所有其他旅行方式。
But as a business traveller, you represent not just yourself but also your employer, whose logo you may well be sporting on your jacket or laptop bag.
但作為一名商務乘客,你不僅代表著你自己,也代表著你的雇主,很可能你的外套或筆記本電腦包上就明晃晃地展示著公司的標志。
So hewing to them is critical.
因此遵守禮節是至關重要的。
They begin to apply before you board the aircraft.
在你登機之前禮節就生效了。
Arrive at the gate early and in style—do not run for your life only to be panting embarrassingly or even worse, hold the plane and make 200 people wait for you while you are browsing gadgets at Duty Free.
提早且風度翩翩地到達登機口:不要逃命似的跑過來,然后狼狽地大口喘氣,或者更糟的是,讓整架飛機和飛機上的200個人等著你,而你還在免稅店瀏覽各種小玩意兒。
Queue-cutters and pushers have their own place in hell.
插隊的人和推搡別人的人,地獄已經給他們留好了位置。
Once on board, remember the basics.
登上飛機后,請記住基本要領。
Do not keep your headphones on when spoken to, make a fuss when you are told that chicken tikka is finished or, heaven forbid, perform any personal grooming in public.
當有人和你說話時,不要戴著耳機;當你被告知焗燒雞肉片已經沒有了時,不要大驚小怪;以及老天保佑,不要在公共場合進行個人梳洗行為。
Bare feet on the seat or bulkhead are a no-no.
絕對不要光腳踩在座椅和艙壁上。
Aggressive typing on your laptop is, too.
也絕對不要猛敲筆記本電腦。
Manspreading and “galley yoga” in the flight attendants’ work area are to be avoided.
不要坐著的時候大腿叉開或者在空乘員的工作區做“廚房瑜伽”。
Be wary of booze.
謹防飲酒。
Alcohol’s effects are more pronounced 30,000 feet above ground, even in a pressurised cabin, because of lower oxygen levels.
酒精的作用在離地3萬英尺的高空更加明顯,在加壓的機艙里也會更明顯,因為氧氣水平較低。
If you tend to feel nauseous when cabin pressure changes during take-off and landing, avoid the vodka during the flight.
如果在起飛和降落過程中機艙壓力發生變化時,你容易感到惡心,那么請避免在飛行過程中喝伏特加。
Unruly, entitled passengers tend to be boozing passengers—and vice versa.
不守規矩、覺得自己比別人特殊的乘客往往會酗酒,反之亦然。
You don’t want to become a TikTok sensation, and nor does your employer.
你不想在TikTok上出名吧,你的雇主應該也不想。
Cabin crew, trained to be courteous and professional, should be matched in tone.
被訓練得彬彬有禮和表現專業的空乘員應該有相配的乘客。
Economy class is the trickiest.
經濟艙是最棘手的。
As airlines are packing more seats on planes in coach, legroom is scarce and your own meal tray is encroaching on your space.
隨著航空公司往經濟艙里塞進更多座位,放腿的空間變得更少,你自己的餐盤也在侵占你的空間。
This does not excuse putting your feet up on tray tables, slamming back your seat when you recline or handing the flight attendants rubbish while they are distributing food.
但這不能成為你把腳架在小桌子上、猛地一下放倒座椅,或者在空乘員分發食物時把垃圾遞給他們的借口。
Overhead bins are meant to be shared. So are armrests.
頭頂上的行李架應該是共享的。座椅扶手也是。
You have no control over who sits next to you but you have agency.
你無法控制誰坐在你旁邊,但你有主動能力。
If you find yourself elbow to elbow with Chatty Cathy, it is alright to say “excuse me” and slip on your noise-cancelling headphones.
如果你發現自己和愛聊天的人胳膊挨胳膊地擠在一起,你可以說句“不好意思”,然后戴上降噪耳機。
You should probably avoid working on anything remotely sensitive.
或許你應該避免做任何哪怕稍微帶有敏感性的工作。
As your company’s chief of security no doubt regularly reminds you, some people are nosy.
正如公司的安全主管肯定會經常提醒你的那樣,有些人就是愛管閑事。
Even those who aren’t may inadvertently sneak a peek at your spreadsheet.
就算有些人不是這樣,他們也可能會無意中偷看你的電子表格。
Take the time to think about strategy or read that management book you have been meaning to for months.
你可以用這些時間思考一下戰略,或者讀一讀你幾個月來一直想讀的那本管理學書籍。
Corporate dress codes may have relaxed but opt for transatlantic athleisure only if you have time to change before heading to your meeting after you land.
公司的著裝要求可能已經放松了,但除非在你下飛機去開會之前有時間換衣服,否則不要穿休閑運動服。
Boarding the red-eye in pyjama bottoms is not OK. Elasticated waistbands are acceptable.
穿著睡褲登上夜間航班是不可以的。但松緊腰帶的褲子是可以接受的。
Yoga pants and flip-flops are not; they clash with the spirit of work—especially if colleagues and clients might be on the same flight.
瑜伽褲和人字拖不可以,它們與工作精神相沖突--特別是當同事和客戶可能在同一個航班上的時候。
And you never know whom you might run into at the luggage carousel.
而且你永遠不知道你會在行李傳送帶旁遇到誰。
For those lucky enough to work for firms with fat travel budgets, business class helps attenuate these problems.
對于那些公司提供豐厚的差旅預算的幸運兒來說,商務艙有助于緩解這些問題。
You can work more freely and never need to kick the seat in front of you to let the passenger in the row ahead know they are reclining too comfortably (which, incidentally, you shouldn’t do in economy either).
你可以更自在地工作,也永遠不需要踢你前面的座椅,讓前排的乘客知道他們躺得太舒服了(順便說一句,在經濟艙里你也不應該踢別人的座椅)。
Even so, remember you are not alone.
即便如此,請記住飛機上不是只有你一個人。
Do not violate other passengers’ personal space with your body, voice (just because you are a senior vice-president at Goldman Sachs does not mean others want to listen to your phone conversation while you board) or odour (splash on your hypnotic sandalwood cologne in moderation).
不要用你的身體、聲音(僅僅因為你是高盛的高級副總裁,并不意味著其他人想在你登機時聽你打電話的內容)或氣味(請適度使用你的安神檀香古龍水)侵犯其他乘客的私人空間。
Most of these challenges are eliminated if you fly first class.
如果你坐頭等艙,這些挑戰中的大多數都不會存在。
You get a personal suite, à la carte dining, vintage champagne and, on some flights, doorstep baggage pick-up, check-in and drop-off by airline employees (though even that probably doesn’t excuse flip-flops).
你會有私人套間、可以自己點菜、有上等香檳,在一些航班上,航空公司員工還會有上門取行李、辦理登機手續和送機服務(但這也不是穿人字拖的借口)。
Or so this guest Bartleby is told.
至少筆者聽說是這樣。
When she suggested corroborating it herself for the purposes of research, her request was regrettably denied.
當她說出于研究目的想親自證實一下頭等艙的情況時,她的要求被遺憾地拒絕了。
You will have to work this part out on your own.
所以頭等艙的情況需要你們自己去弄明白了。
Fasten your seatbelt, and enjoy the flight.
總之系好安全帶,享受此次飛行吧。