Business
商業板塊
Bartleby: Making the most of LinkedIn
巴托比:充分利用領英
How to survive and thrive on the business world’s favourite social network
如何在商界最受歡迎的社交網絡上生存和發展
Social media and career development typically don’t mix.
社交媒體和職業發展通常不能混為一談。
Doom-scrolling Elon Musk’s tweets or getting sucked into the latest TikTok craze do not exactly enhance your work prospects.
翻看埃隆·馬斯克的推文,或沉浸在最新的抖音熱潮中,都并不能提升就業前景。
Unless, that is, the social network in question is LinkedIn.
除非這個社交網絡是領英。
Founded in 2003 in Silicon Valley as a platform for professional networking, and purchased in 2016 by Microsoft for $26bn, it has become a fixture of corporate cyberspace, with more than 800m registered users worldwide.
領英于2003年在硅谷創立,最初是一個職業社交平臺,2016年被微軟以260億美元收購,現已成為企業網絡空間的固定平臺,在全球擁有逾8億注冊用戶。
Its 171m American members outnumber the country’s labour force.
其1.71億美國會員的數量超過了該國的勞動力。
High-school students are creating profiles to include with their college applications.
高中生正在創建個人資料,納入他們的大學申請。
The chances are you probably have one, too.
很有可能你也有一個。
How do you make the most of it?
怎樣充分利用它呢?
For those who have yet to link up with LinkedIn, the first, critical, step is fashioning your profile.
對于那些還沒有連接過領英的人來說,第一步也是關鍵的一步是塑造個人資料。
First, choose a slick photo: think visionary resolve meets empathetic authenticity.
首先,選擇一張漂亮的照片:不妨用既能體現自己富有遠見的決心,又能體現善解人意的真實性的照片。
Next, list your educational and professional history.
接下來,列出教育和職業經歷。
Remember, nothing is too trivial.
記住,多詳細都不為過。
Went to a selective kindergarten?
上的是擇優錄取的幼兒園嗎?
Say so; it illustrates that you were a winner from a tender age.
就說是,這說明你從小就是贏家。
As you draw up your list, make sure that it reads in the most deadpan way possible: no adjectives, no personal touch.
描述經歷時,盡可能確保它讀起來不帶感情色彩:沒有形容詞,沒有個人風格。
The mechanical and the matter-of-fact is at a premium.
機械般的用語和實事求是的描述都是很重要的。
Armed with your profile, you can get down to business and begin creating your network.
有了個人資料,就可以開始著手創建自己的網絡了。
You need to have 500 or more connections in your profile to be taken seriously.
你的個人資料中需要有500個或更多的聯系人,別人才會認真對待你。
To achieve this, you need to step out of your comfort zone and accost complete strangers.
要做到這一點,你需要走出舒適區,去和完全陌生的人搭訕。
Do not treat it as you would inviting classmates you do not know to your birthday party, which in real life makes you look desperate.
不要像邀請陌生同學參加你的生日聚會那樣搭訕,這種做法在現實生活中會讓你看起來很絕望。
On LinkedIn, cringeworthy is not part of the lexicon.
在領英的字典里,就沒有“畏首畏尾”這個詞。
Your columnist, a guest Bartleby, has amassed 6,315 connections, of whom she actually knows maybe 300.
筆者已經積累了6315個人脈,其中真正認識的可能也就300人。
Remember that cousin Dimitris your mother always mentions on the phone, who works at Bain Capital in Boston?
還記得你媽在電話里經常提到的表弟迪米特里斯嗎?他在波士頓的貝恩資本工作。
What better way than an innocuous LinkedIn invite to reconnect—and get a toehold in his private-equity network.
通過領英這種沒有惡意的平臺向他發出邀請,與其重新建立聯系--然后在他的私募股權網絡中站穩腳跟,沒有比這更好的方式了。
And that man who sat next to you on the red-eye back from Chicago?
那個從芝加哥坐夜間航班回來時坐在你旁邊的人呢?
Even if you recall only his first name and the company he works at, LinkedIn’s algorithm should be able to let you track him down with relative ease.
即使你只記得他的名字和他工作的公司,領英的算法應該也能讓你相對容易地找到他。
譯文由可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載。