Listen to a conversation between a student and her biology professor.
聽一段學生和生物系教授的對話。
Hi, Jean. how was the...uh, the conference,right? The conference on volunteerism? That's where you were last week.
你好,簡。那場會議怎么樣?那場關于志愿服務的會議?你上周就是去那兒了。
Yeah. It was great.
對。棒極了。
I met a lot of people from some really amazing organizations that are working in the area.
我遇到了很多人,他們來自在致力于此領域工作的很棒的組織。
Now it would be a lot easier to get students to volunteer in the community.
現在想讓學生做些社區志愿活動,可是簡單多啦。
Plus, I have never been to any of the beaches here before.
再說了,我此前一直都沒去過這里的沙灘。
Being at the beach was definitely a plus.
能去沙灘絕對是個意外獎勵。
Well, I hope you had time to look over the notes from the class you missed.
好吧,我希望你有時間看看你所缺的課上的筆記。
You did get the notes, right?
你拿到筆記了對吧?
Yup. I'll look them over before tomorrow's class.
對。我會在明天上課前把筆記看完的。
Good. And let me know if you have any questions.
好。如果你有什么問題,請告訴我。
Well, there is something that I wanted to ask you now. It's about something I noticed at the beach.
正好我現在就有問題想問您。這和我在沙灘上觀察到的東西有關。
Oh , what's that?
噢,什么?
Well, see, there are a lot of jellyfish there, floating in the water.
在那兒有很多水母,就在水里漂著。
That couldn't have been pleasant.
那可不是個愉快的經歷。
Not for swimming. But it was interesting.
肯定不是在游泳。但這很有趣。
I mean, the jellyfish were glowing. I swear they were. And I am wondering what that's about.
我的意思是,水母都在發光。我發誓。我不知道這是為什么。
Ah, glowing jellyfish. That is interesting. Uh, it's called bioluminescence.
啊,發光的水母。確實很有趣。這叫生物發光現象。
And actually we are going to talk about it later in the semester.
事實上,我們這學期晚些會講到這點。
Basically, bioluminescence is light that's produced by a chemical reaction.
基本上,生物發光是一種由化學反應產生的光線。
Really? Inside the jellyfish?
真的嗎?在水母體內?
Well, not all jellyfish, about half of them.
不是全部水母都這樣,大概一半吧。
Actually,a lot of marine organisms have this ability, especially in deeper parts of the ocean.
實際上,很多海洋生物都有這種能力,特別是那些生活在深海的生物。