1. pay sb compliment:贊揚某人,贊賞某人,恭維某人
e.g. You must give me leave to judge for myself, and pay me the compliment of believing what I say.
我自己的事自己會有主張,只要你相信我所說的話,就是賞我的臉了。
e.g. Martin is a young man of independent thinking who is not about to pay compliment to his political leaders.
馬丁是一位具有獨到見解的年輕人,他不會對他的政治上的領導阿諛奉承。
2. accuse sb of sth.:指控某人某事,指責某人
e.g. We'll never accuse you of having done anything forgetful or unmanly.
我們決不會講你不夠朋友或沒有男子漢氣概的。
e.g. It is interesting to know that you accuse your only daughter of being the vilest of hypocrites.
真有趣,你竟然指責你的獨生女兒是個十惡不赦的偽君子。
3. make trouble:惹來麻煩,制造麻煩,制造事端
e.g. If I say no, the boss will only make trouble for me.
我要是說個‘不’字, 老板準跟我過不去.
e.g. She told him at last that if he didn't quit using around there she would make trouble for him.
后來她就對他說,要是他還老是圍著那兒轉,她可就要對不起他啦。
e.g. Don't make trouble with me!
別跟我搗亂!
4. suffer from:吃口頭
We suffer from too much officialdom.
我們深受官僚作風之害。
At that time, everyone suffered from cold and hunger.
在那個年代,每個人都受饑寒交迫之苦。
5. at one’s expense:以某人作為代價
e.g. She completed the work at the expense of her health.
她完成了工作,但損害了健康。
e.g. The king sought to aggrandize himself at the expense of his people.
國王以犧牲百姓為代價來擴大自己的權勢。
6. put it bluntly:直接地說,坦白地說
e.g. Let me put it bluntly. I don’t think it’s necessary to spend so much money on a coat.
直截了當地說吧,根本沒有必要花那么多錢買一件大衣。
e.g. To put it bluntly, you're fired!
直截了當地說吧, 你被解雇了!
7. throw in the towel:認輸
e.g. I confess there was more than one moment in 1981 when I felt ready to throw in the towel.
我坦率承認,在1981年,我不止一次感到要認輸了。
e.g. We're never going to persuade them so we might as well throw in the towel now.
我們決不會說服他們,因此我們不妨現在就認輸。
8. depend on:依靠,依賴
e.g. His impulse was to go to her; he could depend on her pity.
他一時沖動要找她,指望得到她的憐憫。
e.g. We depend on the newspapers for information about what is happening.