My car is stupid, Don.
Don,我的汽車真笨。
What do you mean, Yael?
Yael,你什么意思?
I turn the key, the engine ignites.
我擰車鑰匙,引擎發動。
I turn the steering wheel,the wheels move. And that's it!
我轉方向盤,輪胎轉動。就是這樣。
Well, what you expect? That's how a car works.
汽車都是這樣呀,你還想怎么樣呢?
I know, but cars are so rigidly mechanical,
我明白,可是這也太機械化了吧。
you know, it's likewhen we removed the horses to make horseless carriages;
我們用汽車代替馬車,
they took away the only intelligent partof the carriages!
但是卻卸下了馬車唯一智能的部分。
So you want to go back to the horse-baggage days?
那么,你想回到馬車時代?
No, but it would be cool, if cars are more intelligent.
我不想,要是汽車能更智能就太好了!
You mean like be able to sense things and react to them, like a horse mind?
你是說能像馬一樣識別事物并做出反應?
Right, actually there are designers and engineers at MIT working on a new kind of three-wheeled car–a new kind of wheel actually.
沒錯,事實上,麻省理工學院的設計師和工程師已經在研究一種新型三輪車。
It's a sort of “smart” wheel that contains most of themechanical parts of the car—drive train, suspension, and braking.
這是種車的“智能”輪胎具備大部分汽車的機械部分功能—驅動系統、懸置系統、制動系統。
And the wheels have artificialintelligence–they can sense obstructions and potholes in the road.
輪胎人工智能:能識別障礙物和道路的坑洼。
And since these smart wheelscan communicate with each other, they could allow cars in cities to move in flocks, like birds orsheep.
另外,智能輪胎能相互交流,讓車子像鳥和羊一樣成群結隊。
Also, the wheels can turn 360 degrees, so the car can move in any direction.
輪胎還能360度轉彎,這樣車可以向任何方向移動。
That sounds kind of futurist.
這聽起來很前衛,
Do these kinds of cars actually exist?
這種車確實存在嗎?
Sort of, there are computer models and prototypes, but it's not like you can buy one at a cardealership.
算吧,已經有計算機模型和汽車原型了,但是想在車行買到可能還不太現實。
Well, let me know when you can.
那么,可以的時候別忘了告訴我。