本段對話選自Desperate Housewives,《絕望主婦》
Mrs.Peterson: "Checking out the new executive digs?"
彼得森夫人:來看新的行政主管?
Lynette: "Oh, you know it."
勒內特:哦,你明白的。
Mrs. Peterson: "Can I tell you a little secret?"
彼得森夫人:我能告訴你一個小秘密嗎?
Lynette: "Sure."
勒內特:當然。
Mrs. Peterson: "Dan wanted to hold the promotion over for Tim Doogan and I'm the one that convinced him to give it to Tom."
彼得森夫人:丹想要把晉升的機會留給蒂姆道根,而我說服了他把機會給湯姆。
Lynette: "Really?"
勒內特:真的?
Mrs. Peterson: "Uh-huh. Tom is such a workhorse and he wanted it so badly."
彼得森夫人:恩哼,湯姆是一個不折不扣的工作狂,他非常想得到這次機會。
Lynette: "Yeah, he certainly did."
勒內特:是啊,他的確是。
Mrs. Peterson: "What is wrong? Aren't you happy about this promotion?"
彼得森夫人:怎么了?你不為這次升職開心嗎?
Mary Alice Voiceover:"Lynette realized it was in her best interest to lie to the boss's wife."
勒內特意識到她最好對老板妻子撒個謊。
Lynette: "Well, it's great, obviously. Thank you."
勒內特:非常開心,當然了,謝謝。
"Provided she wasn't too convincing."
倘若她的話不是那么令人信服,
Lynette: "Of course, I mean, I will miss him being gone all the time.
勒內特:當然,我是說,我會想他得一直奔波在外。
He'll be bringing in more money, but he is gonna miss the birthdays, baseball games, first steps.
他能賺回更多的錢,但他也將錯過生日慶祝,棒球比賽,嬰兒邁出的頭幾步。
That's the trade-off, right?
有得必有失,對吧?
I just hope one day Tom doesn't look back and regret being gone so much.
我只是希望某一天,湯姆再回過頭來看時,不會后悔離家太久。
I better get out there before they break something."
恩,我最好趕在他們打破什么之前過去。
Mrs. Peterson: "Of course, I will see you soon."
彼得森夫人:好的,回見。