Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and her public relations professor.
獨白:聽下面一段學生和她公共關系教授的對話。
Hi, professor Gordin. I really learned a lot from your lecture, the one about analyzing all those different segments of the population.
你好戈登教授。我真的從你的課堂上學習到了很多東西,就是那堂關于分析人口不同細分的課程。
Oh, the official term is audience, right?
恩,官方術語應該是叫做受眾,對嗎?
I never imagine that one company could have over thirty audiences to communicate with.
我從來沒想過一個公司可以與三十多個受眾客戶進行溝通。
Yeah, a lot of students are taken aback by this, and some public relations consultants don't figure it out until they've worked in the field a while.
是啊,很多學生都為此很吃驚,而且許多公關顧問在未涉及這個領域一段時間之前也搞不清楚。
Everyone thinks, public relations, eh, PR is easy, but there's a lot to it. You really got to know what you are doing.
大家都以為公關,就是 PR 很簡單,但是其實并不然。你真的得知道你在做什么才行。
Absolutely. So, Stacy, your email implied that you needed my advice about graduate school?
確實。那么,史黛西,你給我發郵件說你要向我咨詢一下研究生院的事情?
No, since my undergraduate degree will be in public relations, I've already decided to get a master's degree in marketing.
不是的,因為我將拿到公共關系的本科學位,所以我已經決定研究生時學習市場營銷學。
Sorry, I wasn't clear.
不好意思,我說的不夠清楚。
My issue is, I have got two require courses and two electives.
我的問題是,我有兩門必修課程和兩門選修課程。
I am trying to figure out which elective course is to take.
我正在考慮要選哪個課程作為選修。
My advisor suggested economics and accounting, but I am not really sure. About?
我的指教導師建議我學習經濟和會計,但是我還真不能確定。不確定什么?
Well, I endured accounting and economics in high school and barely stayed awake, they were so ...
呃,高中的時候我就在會計學和經濟學中煎熬著,而我那時候基本不能保持清醒,它們太…
Ok, Ok. I hear you. Eh... you say you wanted a master's in marketing, you have got one more semester till graduation.
好啦好啦,我明白你的意思了。恩,你說你想攻讀市場碩士學位,你還有一個學期就畢業了,
Have you taken any marketing courses yet?
那么你可否上過關于市場營銷的課程呢?
No, I figured I've got the marketing basis already since I have taken every PR in communication courses offered here.
沒有。我想我已經有了市場營銷學的基礎了吧,因為我上了所有這里關于 PR 的交流課程。
Well, there's some overlap between PR and marketing, but there are important differences too.
是這樣,PR 和市場營銷的確有重疊之處,但是也有很重要的區別。
Marketing focuses on selling your product or service, eh, you know, attracting customers through advertising, and also building relationships with customers.
市場營銷更注重銷售你的產品或者服務,恩,你知道的,就是通過廣告來吸引客戶,而且要與客戶建立良好的關系。
That's what a marketing department does.
這就是市場系的工作。
PR is all about; it involves relationships too, that's why I am saying the two fields overlap.
公共關系就更加廣義,它也包括客戶關系,這就是我所謂的重疊之處。
But in PR, you are developing relationships with a wider range of audience.
但是 PR 是與更多的受眾客戶來建立關系。
Right. Like employees, suppliers, the media. I do understand this in theory, but aren't you still selling your product, just in a different way?
是的。比如說雇員、供應商及媒體。這在道理上我很明白,但是你不同樣是在以不同的方式進行銷售嗎?
Not necessarily. Ok, do you remember that PR strategy I alluded to the other day?
那不一定。你記得前幾天我提到的 PR 戰略嗎?
The one our university uses, a strategy that doesn't overlap its marketing strategy?
就是我們大學用的那個戰略,它并不與市場營銷戰略重疊?
You mean how the university invites local residents to attend certain lectures and classes for free?
你是指我們學校邀請當地人來免費學習一些特定的課程是嗎?
Yeah, this cultivates a sense of good will and helps the university avoid becoming isolated from the larger community.
是的,這就陶冶了一種高尚的情操并幫助我們學校避免被大環境所孤立。
Bringing neighbours into our classrooms is good PR, but it is not marketing since our neighbours aren't our customers, for the most part.
讓我們的鄰居們來學習就是一種很好的 PR,但是卻不屬于營銷范疇,因為他們并不是我們的客戶,至少大部分來講是這樣的。
That's why I want to focus on marketing in graduate school.
這也是我想攻讀市場營銷研究生學位的原因。
Wouldn't having expertise in PR and marketing giving me more career options?
難道說有了 PR 和市場營銷兩門的專業知識不會讓我有更多的職業選擇嗎?
Yeah, but you'll also want to enjoy your work.
會的。但是你也得喜歡你的工作啊。
So for you electives, why don't you take advertising principles and intro to marketing, which I teach.
關于你選修課的問題,你就選我教的廣告原則及市場介紹吧。
This way, you'll find out if marketing is something you really want to pursue.
這樣的話,你就能知道你是否真的想去學習市場學了。
Graduate School tuition is expensive, and these courses will give you a good overview of the field before committing yourself.
研究生學習的學費很高,而這些課程可以讓你在決定投身學習市場營銷之前對這個領域有一個更好的認識。
I wish my advisor had suggested those courses.
如果我的指導教師之前也給我介紹這些課程就好了。
Well, I am someone who has worked in both marketing and PR, so I can offer a different perspective than someone who only teaches ...
呵呵,我是又教市場營銷又教 PR,所以我能比只教一門的老師更有不同的見解。