Narrator:Listen to part of a conversation between a student and her biology professor.
獨白:聽下面一段學生與生物教授的對話
Professor:Hi Samantha, how did your track meet go?
教授:嗨,薩曼莎,田徑運動會怎么樣?
Samantha:Great! I placed first in one race and third in another.
薩曼莎:好極了。我在一個競賽中獲得了第一名,另外一個獲得了第三名。
Professor:Congratulations! You must practice a lot.
教授:恭喜你啊。你一定是刻苦進行了鍛煉。
Samantha:Three times a week pre-season, but now that we're competing every weekend, we practice 6 days a week from 3:30 till 5:00.
薩曼莎:賽季前每周訓練三次,但是現在我們每周末進行比賽,我們每周需要鍛煉 6 天,從3 點半到 5 點半。
Professor:Athletics place a heavy demand on your time, don't they?
教授:體育運動占了你的很多時間,是吧?
Samantha:Yeah, but I really love competing, so …
薩曼莎:是的,但是我真的很喜歡競爭,所以…
Professor:You know I played soccer in college and my biggest challenge, and I didn't always succeed, was getting my studying in during soccer season.
教授:你知道我在大學時踢足球,而且是我最大的挑戰了,我總是在賽季之間調節不好足球和學習之間的關系。
Are you having a similar …?
你有沒有類似的…
Samantha:No, I … I really do make time to study.
薩曼莎:沒有,我倒是真的擠時間來學習。
And I actually study more for this class than I do for all my other classes.
而且我對這個科目的學習也比其他科目更盡心。
But I didn't see the grade I expected on my mid-term exam, which is why I came by.
但是其中考試的成績卻是讓我始料不及的,這也是我來這的原因。
Professor:Well, you "didn't do badly on the exam, but I agree it did not reflect your potential.
教授:呃,你的成績倒不是說差,但是我的確沒有展示出你應該具備的潛力。
I say this because your work on the lab project was exemplary.
我這么說是因為你在實驗室項目上的出色表現。
I was so impressed with the way you handle the microscope and the samples of onion cells, and with how carefully you observed and diagramed and interpreted each stage of cell division.
你操作顯微鏡以及洋蔥細胞樣本的方式讓我很印象深刻,你很認真的觀察、畫圖并且解釋了細胞分裂的每個過程。
And I don't think you could have done that if you hadn't read and understood the chapter.
我想如果你沒有讀并理解這個章節的內容的話,也不會做的那么好,
I mean it seemed like you really had a good understanding of it.
我的意思是說你真的領會的很好。
Samantha:I thought so too, but I missed some questions about cell division on the exam.
薩曼莎:我開始也這么認為。但是在考試中,關于細胞分裂的問題我少了幾點。
Professor:So what happened?
教授:那是怎么回事呢?
Samantha:I just sort of blanked out, I guess.
薩曼莎:我想我就是一時大腦空白了。
I had a hard time remembering details. It was so frustrating.
很難想起來每個細節了,真是沮喪透了。
Professor:Alright, let's back up. You say you studied, where, at home?
教授:好吧,讓我們倒退一下。你說你學習了,在哪,在家?
Samantha:At my kitchen table actually.
薩曼莎:其實是在廚房的桌子上。
Professor:And that's supposed to be a quiet environment?
教授:那是一個安靜的環境嗎?
Samantha:Not exactly. My brother and parents try to keep it down when I am studying, but the phone pretty much rings off the hook, so …
薩曼莎:其實不是。當我學習的時候,我哥哥和父母試著小點聲,但是電話總是響個不停。所以…
Professor:So you might try a place with fewer distractions, like the library …
教授:那么你應該去一個少讓你分心的地方學習,比如圖書館…
Samantha:But the library closes at mid-night, and I like to study all night before a test, you know, so everything is fresh in my mind.
薩曼莎:但是圖書館午夜就關門了。而我喜歡考試前通宵達旦的學習,你知道的,所以我會記憶猶新。
I studied six straight hours the night before the mid-term exam.
其中考試前的那天晚上我連著學習了 6 個小時。
That's why I expected to do so much better.
這也是我覺得自己能做的更好的原因。
Professor:Oh ok. You know that studying six consecutive hours is not equivalent to studying one hour a day for six days.
教授:哦。你知道連著學習 6 個小時與 6 天每天學習一小時是不一樣的。
Samantha:It isn't?
薩曼莎:是嗎?
Professor:No. There is research that shows that after about an hour of intense focus, your brain needs a break.
教授:是的。研究顯示,人們在特別專門一個小時以后,我們的大腦需要休息。
It needs to, you know, shift gears a little. Your brain's ability to absorb information starts to decline after about the first hour.
你知道的,它需要調整一下。你的大腦吸收知識的能力在學習一個小時之后就會減弱。
So if you are dealing with a lot of new concepts and vocabulary, anyway, if you just reviewed your notes, even 20 minutes a day, it'd be much better than waiting until the night before an exam to try and absorb all those details.
所以如果你在學習許多新的概念或者詞匯,不管怎么說,如果你就復習筆記,哪怕就每天 20 分鐘,也比等到考試前臨時抱佛腳要好很多。
Samantha:Oh, I didn't realize.
薩曼莎:哦,我之前還真沒意識到。
Professor:Think of your brain as:a muscle.
教授:把你的大腦想成是一塊肌肉。
If you didn't practice regularly with your track team, and then tried to squeeze in three weeks worth of running practice just the day before a track meet, how well do you think you'd perform in your races?
如果你不每天和團隊訓練的話,然后打算在田徑運動會的前一天將之前的鍛煉都一起進行了,你覺得你在競賽中能發揮多好呢?