Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and the faculty advisor of the campus newspaper .
獨白:聽下面一段學生和校園報社指導教師的對話
Student:Hi! I talked to someone on the phone a couple of weeks ago, Anna,I think it was?
學生:嗨。我幾周前在電話里和一個叫…我想是叫安娜的人溝通過。
Advisor:I'm Anna, the faculty advisor.
指導教師:我就是那位指導教師。
Student:Oh, great! I'm Peter Murphy. You probably don't remember me, but…
學生:噢,太好了。我是皮特墨菲。你可能不記得我了,但是…
Advisor:No! No! I remember you. You're interested in working for the paper.
指導教師:不不,我記得你。你對在報社工作很感興趣。
Student:Yeah, as a reporter.
學生:是的,我想做一名記者。
Advisor:That's right. You're taking a journalism class and you've done some reporting before in high school, right?
指導教師:太棒了。你正在上一門記者學的課程,而且你之前在高中有做過報導,是嗎?
Student:Wow, you have a good memory.
學生:哇哦,你的記性真好。
Advisor:Well we haven't had many students applying lately so … so anyway, you still want to do some reporting for us?
指導教師:最近沒有太多的學生來申請職位,所以呢……不管怎么樣, 你還是想為我們做報導是嗎?
Student:Yeah, if you have room for me on the staff.
學生:是的,如果你們還有職位可以給我提供的話。
Advisor:Well we always need more reporters, but you know, we don't pay anything, right?
指導教師:我們一直都需要記者,但是你知道的,我們是不給支付薪水的。
Student:Yeah, I know, but I huh.. . I'd like the experience. It would look good on my resume.
學生:嗯,我知道,但是我呢…想要積累經驗。這會使我的簡歷更豐富些。
Advisor:Absolutely! Let's see. I think I told you that we ask prospective reporters to turn in some outlines for possible articles.
指導教師:當然。那我們就看看。我想我告訴過你,就是我們要求未來的記者提交一些可能性的文章大綱。
Student:Yeah, I sent them in about a week ago, but I haven't heard anything back yet, so, so I thought I'd stop by and see, but I guess you haven't looked at them yet.
學生:是的。我一周前就發送了,但是目前還沒有收到回復,所以,我就想過來問一下,我猜你們目前還沒有看吧。
Advisor:OH, Max, the news editor. He looks a t all the submissions.
指導教師:噢,新聞編輯麥克斯負責閱讀所有提交的文章。
Student:Oh , so he hasn't made any decision about me yet?
學生:哦,那么他還沒有做決定到底要不要我?
Advisor:Well I just got here a few minutes ago... haven't been in for a couple of days.
指導教師:我幾分鐘前才到這里。有幾天沒有過來了。
Just give me a second to check my e-mail. Uh … here is a message from Max. Let's see.
給我一點時間,我來查一下郵箱。嗯,這有一封麥克斯的郵件。讓我們來瞧瞧。
Well it seems you've really impressed him. He says it would be wonderful if you could join our staff.
看起來他對你印象很深刻。他說如果你能加入我們的團隊將好極了。
Student:Oh, great! When can I start?
學生:太好了。那我什么時候開始呢?
Advisor:We'll, you turned in an outline on something to do with the physics department?
指導教師:呃,你提交的大綱是和物理系相關的?
Student:Yeah, they're trying to come up with ways to get more students to take their introductory courses.
學生:是的。他們正想辦法來讓學生加入他們的基礎課程。
Advisor:Right, well , apparently, nobody else is covering that story , so he wants you to follow up on it.
指導教師:是的。顯然別人沒有報道過這個事情,所以他希望你繼續追蹤。
Student:OK. Uh … what the other outline I sent in, about the proposed increase in tuition fees?
學生:好的。那么我發送的另一篇大綱呢?就是關于學費上漲的提議的那個?
Advisor:Oh, it looks like we've got that covered.
指導教師:噢,看來我們已經有人在做了。
Student:So I am starting with an article about the physics department.
學生:那么我就從物理系的文章開始做起吧。
I guess I'd better get to work.
我想我還是最好趕緊進入工作狀態。
Do you have any advice on how I should cover the story?
關于怎么樣寫好這個故事,你有什么好的建議嗎?
Advisor:Well, Max will want to talk to you but I am sure he will tell you to find out things like why the physics department's worried about enrollment.
指導教師:麥克斯會和你談的,我相信他會讓你去探察一下為什么物理系會擔憂錄取學生的問題。
Has the number of students been getting smaller in recent years? By how much?
是不是最近學生的數量在減少?減少了多少呢?
What kinds of plans are they considering to address this problem?
他們正在考慮什么方案來解決這個問題呢?
Student:Right, some of those issues are already in what I proposed.
學生:明白了,其中的一些我已經在我的大綱中提到了。
Advisor:And you'll want to do some interviews, you know, what do the professors think of the plans, what do the students think you get the idea but…
指導教師:而且你需要做一些采訪,你知道的,教授們認為這些方案如何,學生們的想法如何…但是…
Student:But wait till I talk to Max before proceeding.
學生:但是要等和麥克斯談完之后才能繼續做。
Advisor:Right, he'll cover everything you need to know to be a report e r for us.Can you come back this afternoon?
指導教師:是的。他會告訴你一切關于如何成為我們報社記者的事情。你能今天下午再來一次嗎?
He will be here until 5 o'clock.
他會 5 點鐘到這里來。