重點講解:
1. step down
辭職;下臺;讓位;
eg. Judge Ito said that if his wife was called as a witness, he would step down as trial judge.
伊藤法官說,如果他的妻子被傳作證,他將不再擔任初審法官。
eg. Many would prefer to see him step aside in favour of a younger man.
很多人更希望看到他下臺,以讓位給更年輕的人。
2. go along
進展;進行;
eg. My life is going along nicely.
我的生活一帆風順。
eg. Things were going along fairly well.
事情進展十分順利。
3. at sb's wit end
智窮才盡;黔驢技窮;無計可施
We row a lot and we never have time on our own. I'm at my wit's end.
我們經常爭吵,從無在一起的時間,我真是沒有辦法了。
eg. He had approached every friend and acquaintance for help in vain and he was at his wit's end.
他曾向每位朋友和熟人求助,但毫無結果,那時他真是一籌莫展。
4. waste no time in doing sth.
立即;馬上;
eg. Tom wasted no time in telling me why he had come.
湯姆馬上告訴了我他來的原因。
eg. If you are so certain that these newsletters contain nothing of interest, waste no time in reading them.
如果你確定這些通訊沒有任何令你感興趣的東西,那就不要浪費時間去讀它。
adj. 在 ... 之前,先,前,以前的