A Scottish New Year
蘇格蘭新年
If you're invited to a Scottish home on New Year's Eve,
要是你新年除夕受邀到蘇格蘭人家做客,
it's important to know what to bring with you:
帶上以下的這些東西是非常重要的:
a lump of coal, some shortbread and some whisky.
一塊煤,一些奶油甜酥餅和威士忌酒。
The coal signifies warmth,
煤塊代表溫暖,
so you're wishing that the people you visit will have enough heat in the coming year.
即祝福主人家在接下來的一年里過上溫暖的生活。
The shortbread represents food,
奶油甜酥餅代表食物,
so you're hoping that the people will have enough to eat.
即希望主人家不愁吃。
And whisky was called "the water of life" by Scots,
威士忌被蘇格蘭人稱為“生命之水”,
so it means you want the hosts to have enough to drink.
送上威士忌就意味著你祝福主人家不愁喝。
There is one more key task you still have to perform as a guest.
身為客人還有一個要點必須要記牢,
The first person to knock on a neighbour's door is supposed to be a tall, dark, handsome man. If you are, you'll bring good luck to the household.
假如你是又高又黑的帥小伙子,第一個敲主人家的門會給他們帶來好運。
But if that's not you, don't ring the bell just yet.Wait for a while and the right person is bound to turn up soon!
否則,你只能等合適的人出現,然后再進門。