Narrator:Listen to a conversation between a student and a professor.
獨白:請聽一段學生和教授間的對話。
Student:Hi, I was wondering if I could talk with you about the assignment in the film theory class.
學生:教授您好,我在想是不是能跟您討論關于電影理論課作業的問題?
Professor:Of course, Jill.
教授:當然可以,吉爾。
Student:It seems that pretty much everyone else in the class gets what they are supposed to be doing but I'm not so sure.
學生:似乎基本上班上每個人都知道他們應該做什么,但是我不太確定。
Professor:Well, the class is for students who are really serious about film.
教授:這門課程主要是為那些真正肯鉆研電影的學生們而設。
You must have taken film courses before.
嗯,你以前肯定上過電影課吧。
Student:Yeah, in high school, film appreciation.
學生:是的,高中的時候學過電影鑒賞。
Professor:Um…I wouldn't think that would be enough.
教授:嗯,我不認為那就夠了。
Did you concentrate mainly on form or content?
你有沒有主要集中在電影的內容和形式上呢?
Student:Oh, definitely content.
學生:哦,當然,主要是內容。
We'd watch, say Lord of the Flies, and then discuss it.
我們課上看過蠅王這部電影,然后進行討論。
Professor:Oh, that approach,
教授:哦,是以這種方式的啊。
treating film as literature, ignoring what makes it unique.
將電影當做是文學作品,無視電影獨有的因素。
Student:I liked it, though.
學生:不管怎樣,我喜歡這種方式。
Professor:Sure, but that kind of class.
教授:當然,但是那種課程。
Well, I'm not surprised that you are feeling a little lost.
好吧,你感到有點摸不著頭腦,我不感到驚奇。
You know, we have two introductory courses that are supposed to be taken before you get to my course,
你知道,在上該我的課之前,你要上額外的兩個入門課程。
one in film art, techniques, technical stuff and another in film history.
一門是關于電影藝術,技術,技術隊伍,而另一門是關于電影歷史。
So students in the class you are in should be pretty far along in film studies.
那樣跟你一起上課的學生們在電影研究上應該有一定的底子了。
In fact, usually the system blocks anyone trying to sign up for the class they shouldn't be taking.
事實上,這樣的系統經常讓那些試圖上這門課卻不應該來的學生止步,
And who hasn't taken the courses you are required to do first as prerequisites.
還有那些沒有按照學校要求提前上這幾門課的學生們。
Student:Well, I did have a problem with that but I discussed it with one of your office staff, and she gave me permission.
學生:嗯,我確實這方面有點問題,但是我已經跟您的一個同事談過了,她允許我這么做。
Professor:Of course.
教授:當然。
No matter how many times I tell them, they just keep on…
不管我跟你強調多少次,他們都會這么做…
Well, for your own good,
好吧,為了你好,
I really suggest dropping back and starting at the usual place.
我真的建議你回到起點,從平常階段開始。
Student:Yes. But I've already been in this class for 4 weeks.
學生:是。但是我也上這門課已經上了 4 個星期了。
I'd hate to just drop it now especially since I find it so different, so interesting.
我真的不想現在放棄,特別是因為我現在發現這門課很不同,很有趣。
Professor:I guess so.
教授:我想是的。
Frankly I can't believe you've lasted this long.
說實話,我不敢相信你居然持續這么久。
These are pretty in-depth theories we've been discussing and you've been doing OK so far, I guess.
我們一直課上討論的都是頗有深度的理論,而你到目前都表現很好。
But still, the program's been designed to progress through certain stages.
但是,還是那句話,該們課程一直以來都是為了讓學生在某一階段后能取得進步而設置的。
Like any other professional training we build on pervious knowledge.
就像其他專業訓練一樣,我們都要有先前的知識作為底子。
Student:Then maybe you could recommend some extra reading I can do to… catch up?
學生:那么也許你可以給我推薦一些課外閱讀,讓我能,能趕上別人的進度。
Professor:Well, are you intending to study film as your main concentration?
教授:嗯,你是打算作為主要關注研究電影?
Student:No, no. I am just interested.
學生:不,不。我只是感興趣。
I'm actually in marketing, but there seems to be a connection.
我實際上是在研究市場營銷,但似乎有一些聯系。
Professor:Oh…well, in…in that case, if you're taking the course just out of interest,
教授:哦,好吧,這樣的話,如果你對該課程失去興趣,
I mean I still highly recommend signing up for the introductory courses at some point,
我還會是強烈推薦你去參加入門課程的學習。
but in the meantime, there is no harm I guess in trying to keep up with this class. The interest is clearly there.
但現在,我想對你來說趕上其他人的進度不會有什么害處,你對它的興趣顯而易見。
Eh, instead of any extra reading just now though, you could view some of the old introductory lectures.
呃, 你可以看一些以前的入門演講,而不是立即去進行課外閱讀,
We have them on video.
我們有這些演講的視頻。
That would give you a better handle on the subject.
這樣做你會更好掌握該門課。
It's still a pretty tall order,
這要求仍然很高,
and we will be moving right along, so you will really need to stay on top of it.
我們進度還會很快,所以你真的要一直跟上進度。
Student:OK, I've been warned.
學生:好的,我已經收到您的警告了。
Now, could I tell you about the idea for the assignment?
那么現在我可以告訴你關于此次作業的看法嗎?