Hi. I'm Malcolm Stewart.
嗨。我是 Malcolm Stewwart。
John Marchetta.
我是 John Marchetta。
Sit down, sit down.
請坐 請坐。
Susan has told me a great deal about you.
Susan告訴我許多關於你的事
She says you're quite a man.
她說你是個了不起的人
She says
她也談起
a lot of wonderful things about you too, Mr. Stewart.
不少你的非凡作為 Stewart先生。
That's always nice to hear, Mr. Marchetta.
聽到這事總是好的 Marchetta先生。
Call me John.
叫我 John
May I call you Malcolm?
我能稱你 Malcolm 嗎
Let's talk business.
我們來談談正經事。
That's music to my ears.
正合我意。
I understand
聽說
you used to be in the construction business.
你過去在營造界工作。
Yup. Forty-three years.
是的 四十三年。
Here's a brief description
這是一份簡單的記錄
of forty-three years of on-the-job training.
關於我四十三年的工作經歷。
That is some history!
這閱歷了不得
You're a valuable asset, Malcolm.
你是很有價值的資產
Very valuable.
很有價值。
Thank you.
謝謝你。
Yup. Forty-three years.
是的。四十三年
Half that time in my own construction company.
一半時間是在我自己的建造公司。
Big jobs--factories, shopping malls.
大的工程 工廠 大商場
That kind of thing.
等等。
Then you retired.
然後你退休了。
Yes.
是的。
After my wife died,
我妻子去世後
and I felt I should spend more time
我覺得應該多花些時間
with my children and grandchildren.
與兒子 孫子們在一起
I lived in Florida,
我住在 Florida
and they lived in New York.
而他們住在紐約。
I understand.
我了解。
My dautghter Cami lives in New York.
我女兒 Cami住在紐約。
I like being near her.
我喜歡離她近一點。
When I came here,
當我初到這
I planned to take a few months off.
我計劃休息幾個月。
Relax with the family and then look for some work.
與家人輕松一段時間 熱會 找個工作。
Put my experience on the line ...
考驗考驗我的閱歷……
but, unfortunately,
但是 很不幸
there isn't any work for a retired person my age.
沒有我這種年紀的退休人員的工作。
Sometimes there is,
有時候有
and sometimes there isn't.
有時候沒有。
Well, I'm involved with an organization,
嗯 我參加一個組織
and we're trying to resolve that problem.
試圖解決這類問題。
What's that?
什麼組織
TOPS.
TOPS.
T-O-P-S--means Talented Older People's Society.
T-O-P-S 全名是優秀老人協會。
I'd like to be a member.
我想加入做為會員。
How much are the dues?
會費多少
There are no dues.
不要會費。
The organization serves major companies in this city.
這個組織為本市各大公眾服務。
Why?
為什麼
Because our members are men and women like you.
因為 這個組織的會員都是像你這樣的人。
Experienced, talented, retired.
有經驗 有才能 退休了。
But our members want to go out there
但會員們希望在社會上
and use their talents.
貢獻他們的才能。
They want to work.
他們想工作。
That is fantastic, John!
那太好了 John
I've got an idea for you, Malcolm.
我倒替你想出了一個主意 Malcolm。
Just fill out this form for me.
請把這份表填好。
It'll only take a few minutes.
只要幾分鐘時間。
Sit right here,
就坐在這里
and do it while I talk to my secretary.
我去和秘書說個話。
When I get back, we'll talk about my new factory.
我回來後 我們談一談我的新工廠。
My company is a member of TOPS.
我的公司也是優秀老人行會的會員
So I try hard to find opportunities for people like you.
所以我努力為像你這樣的人尋找機會
Malcolm.
Malcolm。
And when I see an opportunity,
而且當我一看到機會
I can act on it.
我就可以處理。
Well, I can use your brainpower on the job right now.
嗯 我馬上可以將你的聰明才智用在這項工程上
Have you got time this morning
今天上午你有時間
to go over to the construction site with me?
去看一看建筑工地嗎
I'd like to have you meet my foreman--
我希望帶你去認識工頭
I'd like to have you meet my foreman--
我希望帶你去認識工頭
get some background on the job.
了解這項工程的一些背景
I've got plenty of time.
我有的是時間。
I'll be right back.
我馬上就回來。
We'll go over to the job site together.
我們等一會兒一起去工作
Malcolm, you worked on the Spaceport project? Malcolm
你曾負責 太空港 的案子
My company was the contractor.
我的公司承包了這項工程
I built the theater there
我建造這個劇院
with my own two hands, practically.
差不多是獨自完成的。
I understand.
我明白了。
Well,
好的
I'm glad to see you two guys getting along so well
看到你們兩位相處得這么好 我很高興
because, Danny,
因為Danny
Malcolm is on the TOPS team.
Malcolm是 TOPS的一員
He's going to be working with you for a while.
他將與你一起工作一段時間
His experience will be valuable to both of us.
他的經驗對你我都很有用
Welcome aboard, Malcolm!
歡迎加入 Malcolm
I'm going back to my office.
我要回辦公室了。
Give me a call later, Malcolm.
請稍後打電話給我 Malcolm。
I'll tell you the time and date of the next TOPS meeting.
我要告訴你 TOPS下次聚會的時間
I'd like you to meet the group.
我希望你能與協會的成員碰面。
I will, John.
我會的 John。
And again--thanks.
再次謝謝你。
No ... thank you.
不……謝謝你。
And thank Susan.
還要謝謝 Susan。
He's quite a man.
他是個了不起的人。
A real inspiration for me.
他給我很大的啟發。
OK, Danny.
好啦 Danny。
I know you didn't expect to have me around,
我知道你沒有預期我出現在你身邊
but I think I can be of some help to you.
但我覺得我可以對你略有幫助。
Let me tell you something, Malcolm.
我跟你說 Malcolm。
With your background and experience,
依你的背景和經驗
I can learn something
我能學到一些東西。
... and I do need some advice on a difficult problem.
……我的確有一個難題請教你。
Let me show you this.
我給你看看這個。
I don't want to give you a final opinion
我不想給你總結的意見
without studying these building plans more carefully.
在沒有仔細研究這些建筑圖的情況下。
But a simple solution might be
但是 一個簡單的解決方法可能是
to move the air-conditioning units
移動空調設備
instead of redesigning the entire system.
而不必重新設計整套系統
It might be simpler and less expensive .
這樣可能比較簡單而且省錢。
You just earned your weight in gold, Malcolm.
你可幫了大忙 Malcollm。
Welcome aboard!
歡迎加入我們的行列
It all happened so quickly!
這一切發生得太快了
I can't believe it!
我簡直不敢相信
I'm glad Mr. Marchetta was so helpful.
我真高興 Marchetta先生如此幫忙。
He was more than helpful.
他不僅僅是幫忙。
He actually took me to meet his foreman.
事實上他帶著我去見他的工頭。
I'm thrilled for you, Grandpa.
我真為你興奮 爺爺。
I don't know how to thank you, Susan.
我不知道如何謝謝Suusan。
You're a wonderful granddaughter.
真是個好孫女。
It's good to see you so happy.
能看見你如此高興 太好了。
I'll be at the construction site tomorrow.
明天我要去工地
What are you doing tomorrow night?
明天晚上做什麼
I'm not doing anything.
我沒有要做什麼。
Why?
怎樣
How about a date with your grandfather?
和你爺爺約個會好嗎
I owe you a good steak dinner.
我欠你一頓牛排晚餐。
I'll accept.
我接受邀請。
Tomorrow night.
明天晚上。
You and me. Dinner.
你和我。吃晚飯。
What time?
什麼時候
I'll pick you up here at seven .
我七點鐘到這里來接你
Is that OK?
可以嗎
I can't wait!
我盼望著那個時候
And you can tell me
到時候你就可以告訴我
all about your first full day back on the job.
關於你重回工作第一天的全部情況了。
It's a deal!
就這麼約定