66 The Noses Knows
鼻子破案
“One should never investigate a case in a desultory manner,” said Tom.
“人們絕不應該雜亂無章地調查一個案件。”湯姆說,
He slowly detached his pair of silver handcuffs from his police belt.
慢慢地從他的警服皮帶上解下那副銀色手銬。
“We're going to detain the suspect pending further investigation.”
“在做進一步深入調查期間我們要拘留這個嫌疑犯。”
He put the detached handcuffs on the suspect's wrists.
他把分開的手銬戴在了嫌疑犯的手腕上。
“My nose detects the presence of blood.”
“我的鼻子能察覺出有血跡。”
“You're an amazing detective, Tom,” I said.
“你真是個令人驚服的偵探,湯姆,”我說,
“I didn't know that blood had a detectable odor.
“我不知道血液具有可察覺的氣味。
If it is blood, our suspect might be spending the rest of his life in detention.
如果是血的話,這個嫌疑犯的后半生要在拘留中度過。
Do you think that a life sentence will deter other people from committing crimes?”
你認為終身監禁會使人們放棄犯罪的念頭嗎?”
“Perhaps it will deter a few people,” Tom responded.
“有些人也許會的。”湯姆回答說,
“I think a death sentence is a much better deterrent,” he said, smirking.
“我認為死刑更具有威懾力。”他得意地笑著說,
“Look here. It appears that he tried to use detergent to clean up the blood.
“看這兒,看上去他曾試圖用清潔劑把血跡擦干凈。
Now we have to determine whether to apply to Judge Firecracker's court for a search warrant.
現在我們必須決定是否要向法克拉克法官申請搜查令。
Blood will deteriorate search warrant, it might be too late.
血跡過一段時間會消退而不易查明了。如果我們等到法官對我們搜查令的請求做出決定,恐怕就太晚了。
I detest delays.”
我討厭耽誤時間。”
“Tom, I strongly recommend that we wait for the warrant,” I advised.
“湯姆,我強烈建議我們等到搜查令再說。”我勸他說,
“Legality should be the determinant.
“合法性應該是決定因素。
If the search is later declared illegal by the court, it will be very detrimental to our case.
如果我們的搜查事后被法院宣布為違法,那對我們的案件偵破是很不利的。
I think waiting a few days won't detract from our investigation.”
我想等幾天也不會有損于我們的調查的。”
“I guess you're right,” Tom replied.
“你說得對,”湯姆回答,
“Searching without a warrant could prove to be a detriment.
“沒有得到搜查令的搜查其后果肯定會貽害無窮。
Besides, if Judge Firecracker ever found out, it would create a temper detonation that would blow the roof off the courthouse. ”
此外,一旦法克拉克法官查出來,他會脾氣大爆發,連法院屋頂也會炸上天哪。”