51 At the Convention
在會上
“Tom, are you enjoying the automobile convention?” I asked.
“湯姆,這次汽車會議感覺怎么樣?”我問道。
Tom did not answer.
湯姆沒有回答。
He was too busy conversing with the pretty salesgirl sitting next to him.
他正忙著與坐在身邊的那位漂亮的金發女推銷員交談。
“I hate to break up your conversation, Tom, but I really need your help.
“我不愿打擾你們的談話,湯姆,但我的確需要你的幫助。
I'm not conversant with the theory behind this new fuel converter.
關于這個新型燃料轉換器的工作原理我不太熟悉,
What causes the conversion and why does it have a convex casing?”
是什么引起的轉變?它為什么有個凸起的外殼呢?”
“I'm not sure how it converts fuel to energy,” Tom replied with a contrite smile.
“我不太清楚它是如何把燃料轉變成能的。”湯姆回答道,臉上露出歉疚的笑容。
“But their salesgirls are very convincing.” Tom returned his attention to the attractive young salesgirl.
“但他們的女推銷員是令人信服的。”說完,他的注意力又回到那個迷人的女推銷員身上去了。
Contrary to popular belief, attending an automobile convention is hard work.
與普通人的想法相反,參加汽車會議對我來說是件艱苦的工作。
I say this with conviction.
這一點我確信不疑。
In contrast with Tom's goals of socializing, I contrive to learn new and complex things.
湯姆來的目的是社交。相比之下,我想設法學些新鮮、復雜一點的東西。
Some of the brightest inventors converge at these automobile conventions.
這些汽車會議云集了一些最優秀的發明家。
I enjoy listening to them discuss the latest controversies.
我喜歡聽他們討論最近引起爭議的問題。
I love it when they argue about how to replace conventional technology.
他們關于如何取代傳統技術的爭論的爭論我更是津津有味。
I've heard some convincing arguments in favor of converting to electric cars.
我還聽見了贊成轉變為電力汽車的很有說服力的論點。
However, it is still a controversial issue.
但是我電力汽車仍然是一個有爭議的話題。
One thing is for true.
有一件事是肯定的。
We will not be seeing any electric can in our lifetime.
我們在有生之年是看不到電力汽車了。
“Hey, Tom,” I whispered, rather harshly.
“嗨,湯姆,”我壓低聲音很嚴肅的說,
“Come on. You're 75 years old and you can barely walk.
“算了吧,你都75歲了,老的快走不動了。
She's only 20. You conduct contravenes the rules of etiquette!”
她才剛剛20歲。你的行為不合道德規范。”
“I don't care!” He snapped back in a shaky voice.
“我不管!”他反駁道,聲音有些顫抖。
“Convict me if you want, but I'm only guilty of true love.”
“如果想判我有罪,你只管判好了。但我只會因真愛而判有罪。”
The salesgirl smiled politely.
聽了這話,女推銷員彬彬有禮地報以微笑。
“Oh, no, not again!” I said, shaking my head with a smile.
“噢,別再這樣了!”我邊說邊笑著搖了搖頭。