30 The Dinner Guest
晚餐時的來客
My new employer told me that they needed someone with my capabilities to lead their unpopular forest clearing campaign.
我的新雇主告訴我,他們需要一個像我這樣有能力的人去領導那項不太受歡迎的森林采伐工程。
They said I was the best candidate for the job.
他們說我是最佳人選。
I was a canny negotiator and a very capable speaker.
我是個精明的談判者,又及其善于言辭。
To me, it was just a matter of being candid with the resident natives.
對于我來說,只需與當地居民坦誠相待即可。
I would captivate them with money before telling them that we needed to deforest their land.
我會先用錢迷惑住他們,然后再告訴他們我們要采伐森林。
Then, I could easily calculate and negotiate a reasonable price.
接下來,我可以很容易地計算出一個好價錢,再和他們談妥。
I got the job, rather easily I thought.
我輕而易舉的爭取到這份工作。
The company directed me to travel into the wilderness by boat to canvass the resident natives.
公司指示我坐船進入一片荒野,去游說當地居民。
The night before the trip, I weighed myself.
出發前的那個晚上,我稱了體重。
“Could the calibration on this scale the correct?” I said to myself.
“稱的刻度會不會不準呢?”我自言自語道,
“I guess I better cancel my dinner plans.
“我想我還是取消晚餐計劃好了。
Otherwise the boat might sink.”
否則,那船沒準會沉。”
But I knew that such a cancellation would make me too sad to travel, so I ate my usual meal.
但我知道取消晚餐只會讓我憂傷得無意出差,所以我一如平常地吃了晚飯。
The boat was capacious.
船很寬敞,
The boat's large canopy was made of green and brown canvas.
它的頂蓬是一塊綠褐色的帆布,
It served as a nice camouflage for the boat.
算是這艘船不錯的偽裝。
We floated down through the canyon for hours until we finally stopped.
我們順流直下,漂了幾個小時才穿過大峽谷,最后船停了。
“You'll travel by foot now, alone!” the boat captain said.
“現在你得步行了,一個人!”船長說道。
He filled my water bottle to capacity and pointed the way with a strange smile.
他將我得水瓶裝滿水,然后怪怪地笑著為我指路。
Not long after, I ran into a resident native.
很快,我就遇上了一個當地人,
He led me deep into the forest where I met their chief.
他領著我往森林深處走去。在那里,我見到了他們的酋長。
He smiled and said, “You've had a long trip.
他微笑著說:“你經歷了一番長途跋涉,
My family would love to have you for dinner.”
我的家人會很高興與你共進晚餐。”
Expection a feast, I replied, “I'd be honored.”
我料想會是一頓豐盛的晚宴,便回答到:“不勝榮幸。”